free website stats program Thoughts on "Flat" back tire.... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thoughts on "Flat" back tire....

Having never taken the rear wheel off my bike, I would have the same hesitation.

With a service manual, how long and how much effort is required for rear wheel removal?

Have a center lift jack?

With that, about 45 min. first time. After some practice, you will pop it off in about 15 min., and get it back on in a bit more.

TQ

Taking the rear tire off is easy, I have done it a few times and it can be off in less than 15 minutes, I use my motorcycle jack, get it up to the max, after strapping the bike to it, lay everything in order of removal on a rag beside the area they are taken off, I make a mark on the adjuster as a reference, I put a small floor jack under the tire so when the axle bolt is removed I can lower the tire / rim down and roll it away from the fender, but use the service manual, and be sure to adjust the belt when you put tire / rim back on, Good luck and take you time looking at each part you remove, ABS sensor wire location, caliper pivot stop, those kind of things.

I would be afraid of a plug as I have seen them pop out on more than one occasion. I would either take it off or trailer the bike to the shop.

Thanks for the input...all were good sugestions.... I pluged the tire.... thinking the the tire is "bad " now no loss there...I don't have a jack or a good place to even try to remove the tire myself on such a big bike... The tire doesn't seam to be leaking now... I will limp it up to the Harley shop and bite the bullet..Planning several 1000+ mile trips this fall.. will be getting a new tire ASAP. Thanks for the help...lakeforktx.....only bites less than 800 miles on the tire..:(:(

Could you put a tube in that tire? I had a flat a few years ago and if I remember corectley I had a small nail in the tire and the dealer just replaced the tube.

Could you put a tube in that tire? I had a flat a few years ago and if I remember corectley I had a small nail in the tire and the dealer just replaced the tube.

Really, did the nail puncture the tire and tube? Most dealers will not repair a tire

As big a pain in the butt as it would be, I'm with the "take the tire off and drive to the dealer" crowd. Aside from the safety angle, sometimes plugging a tire and/or using sealant precludes any repair that they (dealer) can do. Had a cage tire that drew a nail at about 5000 miles. Used sealant to get the tire home where I replaced it with the full sized spare. When I brought it back to the tire store, the manager explained that he was sorry but that he couldn't repair the tire with an inside patch, and the sealant effects the ability of the patch to bond to the inside of the tire. Don't know whether he was telling the truth or not, but you might want to ask before addint the sealant...

As big a pain in the butt as it would be, I'm with the "take the tire off and drive to the dealer" crowd. Aside from the safety angle, sometimes plugging a tire and/or using sealant precludes any repair that they (dealer) can do. Had a cage tire that drew a nail at about 5000 miles. Used sealant to get the tire home where I replaced it with the full sized spare. When I brought it back to the tire store, the manager explained that he was sorry but that he couldn't repair the tire with an inside patch, and the sealant effects the ability of the patch to bond to the inside of the tire. Don't know whether he was telling the truth or not, but you might want to ask before addint the sealant...

He was right, the sealant in a can degrades the inner lining of the tire, making the patch job harder the glue does not like to stick good even after a good cleaning, I like to light them up the old way and burn them in bit that can be dangerous dont try this at home LOL Capital Jack Back shop Mgr Sears Auto Center Jax. Florida:s

the best way is only plug/patch any tire, rope seal & straight plug is TEMP use only .
last year, night before leaving on week holiday I found 4 inch nail in back tire .
since I have the equipment, took tire off rim & plugged/patched from inside.
(plug/patch is 2 1/2 in patch with stem plug attached ) . I would not trust anyone else to do the repair but myself . 18000 km later it is still holding air. NOTE - I would not do this for any customer!
plug/patch is the only legal way of fixing any tubeless tire
next year I have to replace my worn out tires

Back