free website stats program Thinking of selling my bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking of selling my bike

Sell the Harley, get bikes for you and your son - you will never regret it.

Later he will always remember what you did to share time with him, then you can both by new Harleys.

Life is short and our families are the most important thing we have.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Thanks for the post guys, this is why I like this site, you always get a positive mature answer.

The plan is to sell the bike and get the two bikes for me and my son and next summer look into getting a brand new Ultra Classic for me and the mrs. It is going to kill me to place the add to sell my WG, but as most agreed, doing some riding with my son would be some great time to spend together, not too mention that I can teach him the basics of riding myself.

I think that I am going with a duel sport, this way I can still be street legal and yet hit the trails. The dealer that I am dealing with is ready to deal, they have some left overs and they are giving me a great deal on the set. Now I just have to find a buyer, it is probably going to be impossible to find a buyer in this market, but we will see what happens.

I always have had dirt bikes and rode with my kids.and I have always had a street bike.Nothing in the price range of a Harley .When I raced it was a family thing,now when the boys race we try to make it a family thing.I would never give up the time we spent together.Riding,camping,fishing and hiking.
Now I wish they would start to leave home!!

Like Steve, only fast forward a couple years; now an "Empty Nester" and really enjoying it. Do spend as much time as possible with your babies, they do grow up fast! Now a Grandpa twice over and still aged under the national speed limit...not bad eh? :lolrolling

Now taking time to reacquaint myself to the new/old joy of motorcycling with the Sporty I've had only 10 months.

I agree with most of the others...sell the bike and get 2 to share riding with your son; there are always plenty of good deals, and two-wheeled sports is a way of life like no other. Don't forget to remove a couple of items to put on your new bikes from the old, as Smitty says. An HD ride is certainly a great way to enjoy life...One potato...two potato... at a time :bigsmiley24:

Beside the value of spending time with the kid which has a value of 100,000 Harleys if I lived in Jersey without a doubt Id have a supermoto in my garage. Matter of fact Ive got a spot next to the Road King all set up for one. If your staying on the street most are fine but if you want to hit the trails hard take a good look at the KTM.

"...it is starting to get uncomfortable and it has been sitting more than it has been riding"

Looks like you already have your answer. Besides, time with the fam now is time you can't get later - you can always get another HD later though.

Good luck on whichever decision you make - it'll be the right one!

I agree with all the post... kids grow up and move away... spend time when you have the opportunity and get another bike later. Both of my sons were out of college when I bought my first Harley... I did not have the money and more than that the time when they were at home to enjoy riding. Now the wife and I get up and if it's a pretty day she asked... where do you want to ride. NOTHING LIKE THE EMPTY NEST...

Agree with all of the posts. Family is primary. The trouble with "kids" is that they don't stay kids for long. My daughters are in their 30's...seems like yesterday they were on my knee. I don't know how many times my wife and I have thanked God that we recognized that, and spent a lot of time with them growing up. The question of whether to sell the Wide Glide is soley yours. If you aren't using it all that much, it may be a good move. But, you don't have to buy dirt bikes to spend time with your family. Some of the simple things in life are the most memorable and most enjoyable. They don't have to cost a lot of money to pursue.

Dirt bikes are great, but even in my neck of the woods, the Pine Barrens, riding is becoming more and more restricted. The state had an off road park outside of Chatsworth that recently closed. And during a dry spell, the Forest Rangers will severely limit your access to the woods.

Whatever you do good luck, and I hope you find a solution that is a good one.

Agree with all of the posts. Family is primary. The trouble with "kids" is that they don't stay kids for long. My daughters are in their 30's...seems like yesterday they were on my knee. I don't know how many times my wife and I have thanked God that we recognized that, and spent a lot of time with them growing up. The question of whether to sell the Wide Glide is soley yours. If you aren't using it all that much, it may be a good move. But, you don't have to buy dirt bikes to spend time with your family. Some of the simple things in life are the most memorable and most enjoyable. They don't have to cost a lot of money to pursue.

Dirt bikes are great, but even in my neck of the woods, the Pine Barrens, riding is becoming more and more restricted. The state had an off road park outside of Chatsworth that recently closed. And during a dry spell, the Forest Rangers will severely limit your access to the woods.

Whatever you do good luck, and I hope you find a solution that is a good one.
Wow Chatsworth, I drove through there for years, I would think that you could drive ATV's anywhere you wanted in Chatsworth?

I drove on 563 at night, that long road, back and forth to Manchester NJ years ago and I can tell you what, I am glad I never broke down on that road, I remember you could not even get cell service back in the pine barrens back then.

I do know where you are coming from, there are very few places to ride anymore, I know that the police are now riding ATV's and ticketing people for riding. As I posted I will be getting a street legal bike, so I can still get some riding in, but we will just have to trailer the bikes when me and my son go, my friend owns a couple of hundred acres, so I can use his land and there are still some places right here in my town.

There are a lot of dirt tracks that have fun days when they are not racing,usually $20. a day,supervised with medical staff on hand (and washrooms):D

Back