free website stats program Things I saw during my 20k maintenance | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Things I saw during my 20k maintenance

First and foremost is the tuners familiarity with the PCIII. As you may know, the PCIII only allows for fuel adjustment and the Ignition Module is required to adjust timing. I am not saying that you need the ignition module but if timing is not set, the tune is less than optimum. The ignition map programmed from the factory in the ECM is based on a stock motor, so, as yu can see, although timing is not critical, a complete tune would include at least tweaking timing to see if there is any effect on performance. The PCIII is the very first DJ system and has been replaced by the PCV which can be purchased with the ignition module included. Now the Power Vision is the state of the art DJ fuel management systems which actually allows reprogramming of the ECM which cannot be done with the PCIII or PCV. I am not saying you cannot get a good tune with the PCIII but am saying that you can get a better tune with the Power Vision which does not have to be attached to the bike like the PCIII and PCV. Apologies if you are already aware of this. I will say that for a cam only upgrade, the PCIII is adequate but if you increase displacement, have head work done and/or install higher lift cams, you should consider upgrading to the Power Vision.

A few questions to ask your tuner to evaluate whether or not you will get a proper tune. Of course, first and foremost the tuner should be familiar and comfortable with the PCIII.

1. How long will it take to tune?
2. What gear will be used for the tunes?
3. How does he tune for partial throttle? Remember that the final sheet shows TQ and HP at WOT; partial throttle tuning is very important for mileage and rideability.

Yeah, my funding is gone at this point and I'll have to wait till a different time to get a better tuner. I'd much rather use a flash tuner and I'm still holding out that I will be able to upgrade to a touring bike in the next couple years so I'll maybe have to start this process all over again then.

We talked a bit about timing changes because of the heat and 91 octane around here but I can't find an ignition module anywhere for my bike and it looks like another 150 anyway. I'll make sure it's clear with them I can't do timing changes and if they insist, I'll see what my options are.

Good catch on the partial throttle. I just assumed it would be done properly in all throttle ranges since it's about a 4 hour job with them but I'll confirm.

Yeah, my funding is gone at this point and I'll have to wait till a different time to get a better tuner. I'd much rather use a flash tuner and I'm still holding out that I will be able to upgrade to a touring bike in the next couple years so I'll maybe have to start this process all over again then.

We talked a bit about timing changes because of the heat and 91 octane around here but I can't find an ignition module anywhere for my bike and it looks like another 150 anyway. I'll make sure it's clear with them I can't do timing changes and if they insist, I'll see what my options are.

Good catch on the partial throttle. I just assumed it would be done properly in all throttle ranges since it's about a 4 hour job with them but I'll confirm.

If the tune is a four hour tune, I am pretty sure they will get partial throttle tuned. They could tune WOT much quicker than that and four hours is about right for a good tune assuming there are no glitches, like clutch slippage, etc. Check your tire pressure and set it about 2-4psi lower than normal for good contact with the drum. The motor, primary, trans and all fluids need to be up to operating temps for the tune. They will have the big fans on but if the motor gets a bit hot, the tuner will take a break and let her cool down. Sounds like the guy knows what he is doing.

The factory ignition map may be close enough and your compression is pretty conservative so there shouldn't be any timing issues. The worst case would be if there was any sign of detonation, timing would have to be pulled out which will bring power down but I don't see that happening with your setup. Good luck!:s

Back