free website stats program They all look like Harleys to me.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

They all look like Harleys to me..

I'll probably take flack for this, it's not WHAT you ride, but it's THAT you ride.

I've ridden darn near everything out there and there are very few I actually hated. They're god, but just not want I want in a ride.

I demo'd a VStar in Johnstown and I'll be the first to tell you, it's a great bike. But that's only if you are looking for a powerfully smooooth ride (no vibration at all) that's so quiet, you may doze off. That's not at all to my liking, but I can certainly understand why others fall in love with them.

And those venomous "crotch rockets"? We all (Edit) about the way the aficionados ride them as being a bunch of show-offs that are a danger to sane riders and a curse to society. I do it too!

But then I hop on the Harley and take off up the road, trying to break the sound barrier in second and leaving behind a trail of neighbors griping about the sound. but wait!....it's because loud pipes save lives....right?

Just to dig my hole a little deeper...I ride a Harley Trike - yeah, I know; if you get to that point, you'll just quit riding, right? Well, I ride it 'cause I want to. In fact, I had both it and a bagger in the garage for two years and didn't ride that bike, so I sold it.

To top it all off, I ride with a couple of 'Wingers and two years ago, I rode to the (gasp) Honda Homecoming at the plant in Marysville. I think I was one of two Harleys (the bagger) among the thousands of Hondas on the lot. They didn't seem to care and neither did I. In fact one big burley bearded guy came over and growled, "What the (Edit) you doin' here on that thing?" I calmly replied..."the same as you, just ridin’." After a big belly laugh, we stood there and talked cycles for about 20 minutes.

OK, I’m off the soap box now. So, bring it on, I can take it.

Dave

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Although im a little isolated here have come across more metric cruisers than harleys and most of them have the makers badge so well hidden takes a while to work out who made it
most of the riders aspired to having a harley but couldnt justify the cost
me i saw my sportster and thought it was the cutest bike id ever seen i was riding a bmw r100rt at the time
bought the sportster led on to a softail and a dyna all different from each other each has its own personality if id more space im sure id have more bikes

Brian

You said it Gasbag! To each their own ride. Enjoy it!
I too love the sound of my Ultra on some quiet, solitary country road.

I can tell if it is a HD, no problem. They try but they do not look or sound like a HD IMO. As far as riding, ride what you want. If it makes you happy then good for you. For me it has to be a HD. Period. I have owned and rode others, but was never happy and could not wait till I got my fiirst HD. Once I did, I was not disappointed. It was everything I waited for. It is about the legend, the heart and the history of an American bike. Victory is American as well and I wish them the best. But they still are not HD. HD has someting no other domestic company has. History. If you do not agree, it is OK. You either get it or you don't. Does not mean anything if you don't, you just don't. Ride what you like. For me only a HD will suffice. Lucky for me it is that simple.

Everybody has the freedom of choice. Alot of bikes look great and may be cheaper, but I wanted a Harley so I got one. Don't choose to have anything else.

I thought it was "retro styling" not HD "look-alikes" whats wrong with metrics anyway the VRSCR Street Rod is a metric, and the Buell 1125CR isn't even a Harley engine it was made by Austrian engine manufacturer Rotax, does that mean they are not Harleys come on guy's behave yourselves...:newsmile063:

This topic has become more entertaining than i had originally intended, and i have really enjoyed reading the points posted. My original intent was to discuss the fact that some think younger riders don't want a HD because of the chrome and styling....and if that is so, why are they riding the import "clones"? If some say HD makes "junk", why are they copied?
A short (hopefully) true story: I had the opportunity to accompany a HD rider to Sturgis SD in '92. He had (if I remember right) a 1977 shovel head that was a mechanically mismatched, stripped down FLH. I had a 1985 BMW K100. We rode from Billings, MT/ stayed a few days/ and returned. I had the opportunity to watch him try to kick start it to the point of exhaustion each morning, and even got to tow him with a rope (no kidding) from near Rushmore to Rapid City HD Service when his primary belt lost half its "teeth". But it was a pretty bike, and regardless how much easier (I WILL NOT SAY BETTER!) mine was; i wanted one like his.
"Better" or "best" are subjective terms. Does Consumer Report determine that definition, or do I? Since I am the one sitting on the machine, I think my opinion of "best" is most important.
I can honestly say that I think his bike was better, because it's what i wanted rather than what I had. And now that I have one...well, I think mine is the best one that HD made.:D

I started with a metric because of price. When I decided to get a larger bike and did some research, it turned out that after adding the accessories I wanted to the metric, it cost just as much as the Harley bagger that came stock with what I wanted. Plus, the Harley was balanced better,maneuvered easier, and I liked having metal instead of plastic parts.

For an entry-level bike, I think it's hard to beat some of the metrics for their price. For a touring bike, I don't think there's anything better than the Harleys.

Back