free website stats program The trip must go on. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The trip must go on.

The best adventures are those that didn't start out the way they were intended. :18:

Prayers out to your friend's quick recovery.

I hope your friend gets through this tough time.

We never know what life will deal us and just have to make the best of the cards we're dealt. Put yourself in your friends place and look at what you would want him to do. I believe that you will come to the same conclusion that may others before me have stated. GO!! and bring back pics and stories of the trip. Just as we all enjoy reading the posts from those that make a road trips and share the daily read. I am sure that your friend will get the same lift during this difficult time in his life as we all do.

Ride Safe

I'd be inclined to go for it. I've never done a trip that long solo, but I really enjoy solo time on the highway... lots of time to think.

You definitely won't be alone the closer you get to the Black Hills... I'm in the eastern part of South Dakota, and the highways are always packed with bikes heading west the last week of July and first week of August.

A couple other things to think about... Is there anyone else you know who can take your buddy's place? Also, if you absolutely decide you can't do it, you might be able to transfer your lodging reservations to somebody else.

Best of luck to you, and my prayers for your buddy... if you do make the trek and are going to come through the Sioux Falls area and need some company, shoot me a PM and maybe I can join ya for a bit!

Go for it. I made 3 solo trips last summer that resulted in me visiting all 48 lower states and 6 Canadian provinces. Had a blast and would not hesitate to do it again. You never know what life has in store for you, take advantage of the chance while you can.

Since last September my good friend and I have been planning our first road trip to the Black Hills of SD. We've been doing our research and purchasing our supplies in great anticipation of our departure date of July 30, of this year. I've made reservations and sent in the payment so there is nothing left but the wait. That is until today. My friend had a small lump on his temple that he had removed earlier this year and it seems to have made a comeback. He went to his doctor and the worst has been confirmed. He has an aggressive form of skin cancer. He is going in for surgery later this month and then he's to begin treatment to prevent it from entering the lymphatic system. In other words.......he can't go.

So now I'm faced with the prospect of losing the money I've put out already or ..against the pleading of my lovely wife doing what Pru7536 did and just go it alone. Having never done an extended road trip the thought of doing it alone is somewhat intimidating. I suppose it's just more for the adventure of it all. Oh well, I still have a month to ponder this dilemma. To go or not to go.....that is the question. I'd appreciate the opinions from this forum and maybe some advice from Pru if you see this.

I am heading out July 31'st I always do it alone with me and my best half we were suppose to go with her cousin but he crashed his bike last month and will not have it ready in time to go (someone ran him off the road) If you want to meet up somewhere we can go it together I be leaving out of Bellefontaine Ohio around 1-2 pm on the 31'st I am sure we can arange to meet up some place. We already have a place reserved as well out there and we will be staying out there for 1 day and go on to yellowstone but are definetly scheduled to be in sturgis sunday night!

Hoping for the best for you and your bro.

Go, You may see me riding solo, ride my tail or take the lead. it's all about the ride and the comraderie in those you meet. :)))))

To quote a line from the film "Appaloosa", " Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes."

Go on the trip and take lots of pictures to show your friend. Then plan a trip for when he recovers.

I take it your better half isn't into riding with you.
For me, my first choice of riding partner is my wife. If she can't come along then I go solo; just not for as long, she doesn't sleep good when I'm gone and I admit neither do I. Having said that, we are planning on making a run to the Black Hills and where ever else in a couple of weeks for a short 6 day trip. May have to check out Medora, ND on the way for their nightly country musical show.

The one reason to do it anyway is that sometimes there really isn't a next time, so why put it off.

robermv32, I am sorry to hear about your friend and riding buddy and hope he responds well to his treatment. I subscribed to your thread when you first posted it, but didn’t see the very last few words until today. I was curious as to what the responses were going to be as it is easy for me to give an opinion, but I am not in your situation. The title of your thread sums it up well: “The trip must go on”! It seems to be the prevailing theory that you should proceed. I agree, but I don’t have to contend with your “lovely wife”. I will tell you this, my missus was not overly thrilled that I was going on my adventure alone and would have preferred someone else be along. I would have too, but finding people you know that can take off for a month is easier said than done. Is seems to me, the obstacle now is how do you convince the missus that everything will be fine. I did a couple of things that somewhat relieved her anxiety. I took a cell phone, but I knew the service would be sporadic at best, but assured her I would call at a pre-determined time so she knew I was alive and well. She gave me a couple of phone cards that could be used from motel telephones. I couldn’t see why I needed two phone cards, but I used them both and bought another one in Pocatello, ID before I got to Choppers Garage. Without a doubt, the best purchase I made prior to my adventure was the mini computer. I could leave her a message here on HDT, or on facebook (have your missus join HDT). We also subscribed to a phone tracking service so if something catastrophic occurred, she would at least be able to tell local authorities where to look for the remains (I can say that now since I returned in one piece). You are also heading to the most popular motorcycling spot in the country and literally thousands of others are too. Stumbling into another rider/s going to Sturgis will be easy if that is what you want to do. I would bet at any rest area along the way, someone on a motorcycle will be on their way that wouldn’t mind you riding with them for a day or more. As you have a month to ponder this situation, there is a good possibility someone on HDT will want to ride with you for a portion of your trip. DakotaRob and Michaelzz28 have already said they will ride some with you. You have certainly been given some good philosophy to ponder by those that have responded thus far and I hope you go, post your trip with pictures and have a great time.

Back