free website stats program The "danger" in cracking your pipes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

The "danger" in cracking your pipes

WOW I can't believe it 2 pages and no one has come back with "loud pipes save lives". Unless I have overlooked it.I have stock CVO mufflers on my bike and I think they are a little quieter than stock,I really enjoy them.I do love the sound of a good exhaust system on a Harley,But some people have really taken them to extremes and it is going to eventually hurt us all before it is over.I am sure some people think when they buy a Harley that it is their God given right to put loud pipes on it,just remember that your rights end where another persons begin.Not all people are into Motorcycles like we are,so we can't expect every one to like what they hear from our bikes.

I used to ride HD's with straight pipes on all of them. Finally changed to a Vance and Hines 2-1 setup on my 88 Low Rider, yup it is a performance exhaust, and tuneable. Found out the motor liked the back pressure and of course it was much quieter. Now I ride the "whole bike" FLHTCU and of course it is muffled. I actually got tired of the noise! Old age? I don't know. I do know these new motors like back pressure and run better with it.

WOW I can't believe it 2 pages and no one has come back with "loud pipes save lives". Unless I have overlooked it.I have stock CVO mufflers on my bike and I think they are a little quieter than stock,I really enjoy them.I do love the sound of a good exhaust system on a Harley,But some people have really taken them to extremes and it is going to eventually hurt us all before it is over.I am sure some people think when they buy a Harley that it is their God given right to put loud pipes on it,just remember that your rights end where another persons begin.Not all people are into Motorcycles like we are,so we can't expect every one to like what they hear from our bikes.

:p GOOD point, it puts me in mind of a shirt I saw in Sturgis Loud wife LOOSE Life:p

I used to ride HD's with straight pipes on all of them. Finally changed to a Vance and Hines 2-1 setup on my 88 Low Rider, yup it is a performance exhaust, and tuneable. Found out the motor liked the back pressure and of course it was much quieter. Now I ride the "whole bike" FLHTCU and of course it is muffled. I actually got tired of the noise! Old age? I don't know. I do know these new motors like back pressure and run better with it.

Its not just the new bikes that like it, any Harley will run better with a little back pressure. I just wish I could have convinced a friend of mine about that, but he just wanted to be loud...................ouch

I can say this about loud exhaust. I had slip ons with 1.75" baffles for a year and could not understand why after 200 miles I had a headache and was wore out. So I reinstalled the OE mufflers. You know what, headaches cured and usually ride a min of 200 miles per ride and one day last year eclipsed 600 miles and still no headache. So I sold the aftermarket mufflers. Could not be happier......:bigsmiley11:

Agree...cracking the throttle on scoot w/loud pipes is no different than the "womp womp/heavy base" car stereo systems we hear on the highways. Just be considerate & keep noise-levels down...

Good point, the pipes sound better than the womp-womp!!!!!

my hat is off to the LEOs. you guys do something that i would never want to do. my 98 softail i know is way to loud, so i try to calm it down while in a residential area. but when on the hwy i always am the last in the group because nobody wants to ride be hind me due to the noise. i know i need to get this fixed but there are no markings on the pipes and the guy who put them on wont answer his phone. i am almost tapped out on solutions so once i figure out how to use a computer i will post sounds and photos of the pipes to see if anyone knows just what they are.

but.................they do sound great:newsmile036:

my hat is off to the LEOs. you guys do something that i would never want to do. my 98 softail i know is way to loud, so i try to calm it down while in a residential area. but when on the hwy i always am the last in the group because nobody wants to ride be hind me due to the noise. i know i need to get this fixed but there are no markings on the pipes and the guy who put them on wont answer his phone. i am almost tapped out on solutions so once i figure out how to use a computer i will post sounds and photos of the pipes to see if anyone knows just what they are.

but.................they do sound great:newsmile036:

QUOTE..MAT.....Lorne....I think your pipes will be fine because after all,your riding a Road King Police bike..:p

Back