free website stats program The "danger" in cracking your pipes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The "danger" in cracking your pipes

As most LEO's will agree, we've been dealing with THAT loud noise too, I just don't hang on their forums much :)
WAP.gif

It has been difficult here for a few years now and as every year all motor vehicles 3 years or older need to get a ministry of transport inspection (MOT)
Bike has to have road legal silencers fitted
I do have about 5 sets of silencers and the stock ones are fitted for MOT and i usually have the slightly louder than stock fitted the rest of the time and the loud ones sit in the shed
Having the police stop you and perhaps take your bike away could spoil a nice ride

Brian

Even LOUD pipes can pass the 5 0 if you are off the gas and not being an idiot. I even turn down the stereo since its just not worth the nightmare of getting nailed for pipes. I have monster rounds so I never really worried much, but some even think they are loud.

One we stopped yesterday was "borrowing" his buddies HERITAGE. No motorcycle classification, no insurance, and was wanted on a couple warrants. Because he cracked'm, he got tickets for all that, PLUS a $500 impound fee with 168 tow.

You can't fix stupid, but you can ticket it sometimes.:newsmile100:

Very good advice colnajoe.:small3d028: It's just common courtesy to keep it down, especially at night when sound really travels because all the other traffic noises are down.
One of the reasons I bought my Supertrapp SE's. Don't need to wake up everyone and it's better for my passengers as well.

OK all you LEO's, explain to me why new ordances are needed. Can't the Cities just have you enforce the existing State laws? And if City laws are stricter than State Laws are they not unenforcable?

OK all you LEO's, explain to me why new ordances are needed. Can't the Cities just have you enforce the existing State laws? And if City laws are stricter than State Laws are they not unenforcable?

Where to start....State laws are not very specific, or there really isn't a section that covers exactly what we want to enforce. State law is always more strict so to speak. Local ordinances allow for cities, counties to fine tune the state law to fit thier community. Local laws are never allowed to be more strict, or charge more of a FINE....but cities can include FEES, that go straight to local coffers, and they dont have to pay the state a cut. As for exhaust, state says you can't modify in anyway....stock only. But if your not into motorcycles, how would you know whats stock or not? Local law comes in and uses the NOISE as probable cause to make the stop, then we see no baffles, and we can write local for noise AND/OR state for the modification. every state is different. We had a senior citizen noise issue, so we wrote a local to cover the noise, using existing state laws as a guide.

I could go on forever, but this covers it generally....SO...Dont go crackin'n those pipes, and we aint got no reason to stop you, for the most part.

Where to start....State laws are not very specific, or there really isn't a section that covers exactly what we want to enforce. State law is always more strict so to speak. Local ordinances allow for cities, counties to fine tune the state law to fit thier community. Local laws are never allowed to be more strict, or charge more of a FINE....but cities can include FEES, that go straight to local coffers, and they dont have to pay the state a cut. As for exhaust, state says you can't modify in anyway....stock only. But if your not into motorcycles, how would you know whats stock or not? Local law comes in and uses the NOISE as probable cause to make the stop, then we see no baffles, and we can write local for noise AND/OR state for the modification. every state is different. We had a senior citizen noise issue, so we wrote a local to cover the noise, using existing state laws as a guide.

I could go on forever, but this covers it generally....SO...Dont go crackin'n those pipes, and we aint got no reason to stop you, for the most part.

Very good read, I would add any time getting pulled over ALWAYS follow the commands of the LEO and be courteous

I couldn't have said it better, my pipes are louder than they should be but I use common sense when i'm in town. I guess bottom line is, if you want to taunt law enforcement or just show off to your little sweetie your wallet may become a little lighter. Just use your head and you'll be just fine.

The bride and I have a small beach house at the southern tip of NJ. Each year, Wildwood has their bike weekend. Now I love HD's, but after about an hour of listening to these guys and gals blasting their exhaust I have had more than enough. It all boils down to common sense and a little respect....

I agree with getting after riders that feel the need to crack there pipes over and over again..Dont they no how dumb it makes them look and how annoying it is ?.That being said,I love my Vance and Hines big radi pipes.:)..They sound great just going down the road ,not to loud but nice...I also would like to say that when I am in someones blind spot I hope they hear me..

Back