free website stats program Tfi | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tfi

Status
Not open for further replies.
not everyone has problems with pinging .. i guess if i was going all out i might go with the other kit .. but since all im doing is air cleaner and slip on ill go with the tfi

course finding the problem for your pinging would be the way to start.. if your thinking timing is off and needs to be changed well why ? most time pinging is fuel related and heat related

A mod most certainly can fix a problem, just depends on what the problem is. Hell, even dealers say "to bad ya gotta spend more $$ to make it run right, or better" Their easy way out is, "that's just the way they are." Anything other than a completely programable tuner, is nothing more than a patch, trickery or smoke and mirrors, for what needs correcting. A PC is a piggyback system, yeah, it can hide and trick the system to maybe come somewhat close to help it run better, but a completely different, replacement ECM that is programable and or can be written, is an independent system that you can control all functions. All i run is 91 Octane, that's all I can get but am trying to get my hands on some AV gas. I run Chevron, 76, seems a little better on Chevron and have never liked Shell, but haven't tried it in this bike. Cobra and TFI just trick the system to add more fuel, if just adding more fuel will help my situation with ping, I might try it. But, no one here has ever been able to answer my question, if fuel alone, with no other source involved will aid in the reduction of ping..

Gilder is right. I just installed my TFI today. It takes less than 5 minutes to unplug the O2 sensors and plug in the resistors. The entire install is very easy. You unplug your front and rear fuel injectors, intercept them with the TFI and hook up a ground and your done. Comes with recommended settings, which were right on for my stage one setup. Takes longer to ready your bike (remove bags, seat, side covers and negative post) than the install. I did raise my gas tank at the rear to give me more room, but that was 5 minutes as well.

A mod most certainly can fix a problem, just depends on what the problem is. Hell, even dealers say "to bad ya gotta spend more $$ to make it run right, or better" Their easy way out is, "that's just the way they are." Anything other than a completely programable tuner, is nothing more than a patch, trickery or smoke and mirrors, for what needs correcting. A PC is a piggyback system, yeah, it can hide and trick the system to maybe come somewhat close to help it run better, but a completely different, replacement ECM that is programable and or can be written, is an independent system that you can control all functions. All i run is 91 Octane, that's all I can get but am trying to get my hands on some AV gas. I run Chevron, 76, seems a little better on Chevron and have never liked Shell, but haven't tried it in this bike. Cobra and TFI just trick the system to add more fuel, if just adding more fuel will help my situation with ping, I might try it. But, no one here has ever been able to answer my question, if fuel alone, with no other source involved will aid in the reduction of ping..

First off, if you run av gas, you are in for some surprises. Second off the miracle of the T Max is great until you have a problem on the road and nobody will work on it with that ECM in the bike because they cannot diagnose with their equipment, they have also had a few problems with them too, nothing is as perfect as you want to think in this perfect world. Thirdly, a ping is a problem that should be diagnosed without throwing parts at a bike. Usually it indicates an intake leak but there are other reasons for a ping also. Trouble shoot the problem instead of looking for a quick solution to it. IF it's a leaner than normal mixture, THEN adding more fuel will solve the problem.

This is why you didn't receive a reply to your question about adding fuel to eliminate a ping, why is it pinging, can you answer that ?

I have not had any problems using the TFI and it did exactly what it was designed to do. I laugh at the terminology like "band aid fix" and "tricking the system" used by many when they don't understand something and the principle of the system.

Glider and Smitty

Not looking for a quick fix, if I was, I would have done something by now. If all my past remarks about my bike were read, it would have been noticed that the ping was present from day one. Only recently I added slip ons, it pinged prior to slip ons, in stock form, it pinged in stock form with Xieds, it pings with just slip on's, it pings with slip ons and Exides. Doesn't matter the senario, the (EDITED) pings! Smitty brought up a good point that I think I will try, check plug gap, or new plugs, then if necessary, octane boost.

Also, I'm not "throwing" parts at it! Nothing that can't be removed in a matter of minutes. The ECM is supposed to have a very narrow margin of learning, which obviously isn't working. It's also appearent the HD EFI and ECM is (EDITED) HD customer service is (EDITED) along with the dealer near me! HD or the stealer are also appearently not capable of diagnosing the problem either!The above suggestions Smitty gave are certainly worth a shot!

NO LANGUAGE ON THE FORUM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds more to me like your riding style than the bike, I have read your posts. No octane boost should be needed with a stock engine, you have a problem somewhere, why mask it with boosters, find the problem.

Sounds more to me like your riding style than the bike, I have read your posts. No octane boost should be needed with a stock engine, you have a problem somewhere, why mask it with boosters, find the problem.

Please advise me as to WHAT my riding style is?????

As explained before, no one is capable of finding, or knowing what the problem is. That points to incompetence.

Glider, if ya don't want me here, just say so. The demerit system is amusing, if you wish to ban me, that is of your choosing.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Please advise me as to WHAT my riding style is?????

As explained before, no one is capable of finding, or knowing what the problem is. That points to incompetence.

You would know that better than i would.

You ask if fuel would cure your pinging and that can't be answered without knowing what is causing the pinging. Adding fuel is not the answer to everything. There's many sensors and other factors to be considered before anything can be diagnosed. Even installing the T Max may not help if something else is out of parameters.

Once again, no one knows what the problem is. If you're eluding I don't know how to ride, I can tell you, I've been riding longer than most members here have been alive. I do not lug the engine, as a matter of fact, I have been riding each gear higher in the RPM range to see if that helps before changing gears. Don't work! You can't aggressively twist and go without ping. Appearently HD throttle has to be babied when rolling it on.

when is the bike pinging is it under heavy accel which is were most pinging starts - are you sure its predetonation, is the TPS in the correctly set?, is the bike timed correctly?, what has the dealers digital tech said? have you dyno'd the bike to see were the condition is in the rpm range?
check the plugs are they the right heat range and more over gapped right do you have HD leads or after market has the coil been checked and so on

I'm sure the local dealer is a loser, has never had a good rep in this town for over 20 years!

Yes, it occurs under heavy accel, even in higher R's.
Am I sure it's predetonation? I have to only assume.
TPS correctly set? Who knows, the clowns here won't tell you anything.
What the dealer Digital Tech says? Who knows, they won't tell you.
Dyno? Not this dealer!
RPM range when it occures? 2500 and above.
Bike is stock except for slip on's, which even the dealer says will be ok without the AC install. Bike has 2100 miles!

I will have to check plug gap as mentioned.

Coil checked? Who knows what they really do, they will not allow you to talk to a tech let alone go into the service area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back