free website stats program TFI Red Pot Setting - 2009 Touring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Red Pot Setting - 2009 Touring

if your looking for more fuel mileage back the yellow off or turn it off .. you might lose a little umph when you crack it wide open but the fuel mileage goes up

Thanks, Bud. I'm going to fill up the tank today from the long Sunday ride and I'll see what the MPG is now. Anything above 38 or 39 I'll be happy with.

I went out yesterday for a 30 mile "lunch ride" and everything ran nice. I'll assume the gold color of the header past the collector is just normal. Now if it starts discoloring my muffler, then I got a prob.

Ride safe and have fun!

Update: Since the post above, I ran through 2 full tanks of gas (400+ miles or so). Both tanks right at 40 MPG, which made up of street and highway riding. So I'm happy. Plus, I feel I have the TFI tweaked just right (balance of MPG, power and heat).

Final Settings:
Green: 3:00
Yellow: 3:10
Red: 3:20
RPD: 4:00

Now, I just need to keep that little cover on the TFI so I don't tweak it any more, that's unless I get a new X-pipe from one of the manufacturers out there. :)

Ride safe and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Since the post above, I ran through 2 full tanks of gas (400+ miles or so). Both tanks right at 40 MPG, which made up of street and highway riding. So I'm happy. Plus, I feel I have the TFI tweaked just right (balance of MPG, power and heat).

Final Settings:

Now, I just need to keep that little cover on the TFI so I don't tweak it any more, that's unless I get a new X-pipe from one of the manufacturers out there. :)

Ride safe and have fun.

Great thread!
Now this is what is needed here on the forum..... This whole thread is really FULL of information and thank you all for the concise ways it spelled out... Nice to see the finished numbers as it will help many who read it.. GOOD JOB! ALL

signed....BUBBIE

Final Settings:

Ride safe and have fun.

your actually running richer than i am i got pulled in a drag race the other day with mine till about 70 then the 88 with 5 speed started falling off and mine came to life i wont say where i left off but coming up on tripe digits i was leaving him easy.. might need to richen mine up a bit or add the yellow pot back for days like that and im pulling 42-44mpg

Thanks, Bubbie.

Bud: I got pulled to last Sunday, but it was against my father-in-laws GL1800 Wing (that's when I hit my rev limiter in 1st gear!). Feels really good now. I have 1 free dyno run at my local HD dealer and I may just have them run it through and see what I get for AFR, etc.... Might have them do that at my 10K service.

Ride safe and have fun.

I just got home from a nice ride on my 07 wide glide. I had installed a S/E AC and TFI and was very happy with the way it ran. My bike had always ran great but had a very slight surge at steady throttle. On the ride today all the surge was gone and everything was very smooth. Then after turning the last corner to home something happened that is hard to explain. I grabbed a hand full of throtle in 1st gear and the bike got kind of light in the front and almost acted like the front tire wasnt making good contact on the ground. Sinse I had not felt this before I slowed back down and got back into 1st gear and tried it again. I still happened, I wonder what caused this feeling?

I just got home from a nice ride on my 07 wide glide. I had installed a S/E AC and TFI and was very happy with the way it ran. My bike had always ran great but had a very slight surge at steady throttle. On the ride today all the surge was gone and everything was very smooth. Then after turning the last corner to home something happened that is hard to explain. I grabbed a hand full of throtle in 1st gear and the bike got kind of light in the front and almost acted like the front tire wasnt making good contact on the ground. Sinse I had not felt this before I slowed back down and got back into 1st gear and tried it again. I still happened, I wonder what caused this feeling?

:newsmile100: :newsmile100: Horsepower caused the front wheel to get light and/or come off the ground. The bad news is you're probably hoplessly addicted. The good news is, although not cureable, large amounts of money can keep the euphoric feeling. :newsmile040:

Thanks for the great thread guys... and please forgive my ignorance but I've been struggling in a massive state of confusion regarding fuel management for quite some time. Nothing I've read has made any sense to me until now, well, at least I think it makes sense...

If I read the link that Glider gave earlier in this thread correctly regarding the Dobeck TFI, and understand what I've read, including all of your posts, the 1:00 position for all pots are off and the ECM will work as designed by HD. The green pot will be adjusted while idling the bike at 2000 or so and the RPM switch pot will be set at a constant depending on redline. The yellow and red pots are to be adjusted using trial and error technique during test runs, turning slightly clockwise until there is no performance enhancement then back off to the last setting and Dobeck gives me a starting point for all of them.

Now for my question... I'm thinking of adding the TFI prior to any other Stage 1 changes so as I add Stage 1 components, I'll adjust the TFI. Is there anything I can do to cause harm to the bike if not done correctly? I'm thinking that all I'm doing is adding fuel so no big deal but when I add a Stage 1 A/C to open the airway is there a chance of being too lean and burning it down? The same with aftermarket slip-ons?

Thanks again... but like I said, I've been struggling with this and have had many stupid questions that I've been trying to answer... My dealer has told me "you don't have to worry about any downloads by just adding slip-ons" which may be correct, but I need to understand the general principle before I make any moves and I think this thread has finally done it...

Grillfish i tweaked mine again tonight and got closer to your settings ran great not i need to see fuel mileage

Back