free website stats program TFI Red Pot Setting - 2009 Touring | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Red Pot Setting - 2009 Touring

Grillfish

I've run the TFI for the past year on my 09 RG. It also has the Ness Big Sucker stage 1, V&H mufflers and stock non-cat headpipe.

Quick question out of curiosity...

If the red pot is set back too far, would the bike to run lean only at higher RPMs (i.e. above 4000 RPMs) or across the RPM range?

Current set up:
GREEN - 3:00 (Idles great, solid 1000)
Yellow - 3:00 (I'm getting 40-42 MPG)
Red - 2:45
RPM - 4:00

I use to have it set at 3:30, but turned it back to 2:45 a month ago to see if I experience any changes in cruising and acceleration. Still runs strong through the RPM range, even above 4000 with the changes. No pinging and heat has not increased from before.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ride safe and have fun.

The red pot is flexible as far as settings because the upper end of the fuel mapping in the stock map isn't lean like the lower end is so you can tailor the settings a bit more without a problem.

What does TFI stand for, and what is red pot?

sbeamer; TFI's are electronic fuel injection controllers that allow you to adjust air, fuel, RPM & acceleration settings on your bike. The red pot (adjuster) is for setting the main fuel. You can go to Dobeck Performance @ EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft & research how these little electronic interface boxes can improve your ride. Enjoy!

UPDATE:

I started seeing more of the golden color on the header. The color never moved back past the collector portion in my previous settings, but now it's all the way past the splitter, both going back to where the right side muffler slides in and about 6"s or so on the cross under for the left side.

Not often do I run over 4000, so I'm not sure if my change to the red pot is causing this or it's normal for the header to keep turning color that far back. I did alot of highway crusing @ 70-80 mph since my change....

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

I started seeing more of the golden color on the header. The color never moved back past the collector portion in my previous settings, but now it's all the way past the splitter, both going back to where the right side muffler slides in and about 6"s or so on the cross under for the left side.

Not often do I run over 4000, so I'm not sure if my change to the red pot is causing this or it's normal for the header to keep turning color that far back. I did alot of highway crusing @ 70-80 mph since my change....

Thoughts?

70-80 mph is still way below the 70% or 4,000 rpm that I understand the red pot to activate. I have enough wire on my TFI that I can put it on the point of the seat and tank, so the pot lights are visible when riding. I havn't seen the red light to come on until rev's get up there. I can't say just where, because it's not really that easy/safe to keep watching. Also, my yellow light is not constantly on, but comes on with a little more than slight acceleration.
What was your mpg when you had the original settings?

Last edited:
I was in the 40 -42 mpg (avg) in my original settings before turning down the red pot. I just turned the red pot to 3:15 last Friday, almost to where I had it before.

I touched the yellow to 3:05'ish to see if it helps.

I love the TFI, but I tend to tinker around with things too much sometimes....

I was in the 40 -42 mpg (avg) in my original settings before turning down the red pot. I just turned the red pot to 3:15 last Friday, almost to where I had it before.

I touched the yellow to 3:05'ish to see if it helps.

I love the TFI, but I tend to tinker around with things too much sometimes....

I too can't leave stuff alone. At least I have learned to keep a log of everything I do on each bike. It's amazing what I forget I tinkered with. :newsmile016:

Back