free website stats program Tech question for the wrenches on here | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tech question for the wrenches on here

How long has your mechanic friend been working on motors?

Any certifications?

I started in 1969 and have a certificate or two.:s

Oh dude, I am in NO way questioning you my friend! Your info on here is INVALUABLE to all of us, as well as Hobbit's, Smitty's, and all the rest of the tech dudes that are kind enough to share info on here with all of us. I can't thank you- and everyone else- enough. Trust me- I in NO way meant to question anything that you recommend. I just wanted to share someone's insight that is close to me, to see what you guys all thought. He has a point, but then again- so do all of you guys. I sincerely apologize if I came off like I was questioning anything that you are kind enough on here to recommend!!

To answer your question, he's been doing it all his life, and he is 56. I trust him implicitly. He's a great dude, and he has taken great care of me and my bikes over the years. We were just talking today, and I got the impression that he was really trying to protect me more than anything else, because I am NOT a mechanic, and he didn't want to see me spend all that money on a new bike, in a model year that they basically rebuilt the Touring models, and have something go wrong and me be "up the creek".

Know what I mean? In NO WAY did I mean to argue with you or your recommendations. And if I came off that way, PLEASE accept my most SINCERE apologies, man. Was just trying to share info as fuel for a discussion.

THANK YOU- as always man!!

Last edited:
Not a problem at all here. I just relay what I have found to work in the years I have been working on bikes. :D

Everyone has differing opinions.

Not a problem at all here. I just relay what I have found to work in the years I have been working on bikes. :D

Everyone has differing opinions.

Awesome. Like you said, opinions vary, and I was simply sharing my friend's opinion with you guys. I am going to do things the way that all of you on here recommend- and I know he'll bark at me- but I just feel REALLY confident in the support that this little "online Community" has for one another. It's a great place to be a part of.

Alright, so I have a COOL Shop at my Dealer. <I knew my Salesman himself was real cool; I've known him a long time>.

My Salesman spoke to the Shop Manager about my concerns, and the SM said that as long as I use the appropriate parts manufactured for my scoot (and he asked what I was going to put on), he said I could do it myself and that does NOT void the Warranty. <Note to self: get that in writing!!!>

So there are some cool Dealers out there... guess ya just have to be lucky enough to find them!! :D

I decided to get the Screamin Eagle Pro Tuner instead. I just ordered it. I had it for my '02 FB and loved it because I could mess with the settings all I wanted and even check and reset fault codes.

Nothing to add or wire on the bike.

Theo.

ride the 09 stock they are much much different to the older bikes - my 09 Ultra would quite happily keep pace with a stage1 07 up to motorway speeds and pulls the trailer without issue.
yes they run hotter, but i have recently done my IBA ride and it never missed a beat and was only hot when i had to put my feet down, the shields work very well.
yes i'm sure it will run cooler and have more stomp with a stage 1 but i have yet to find pipes i really like, i love the look of the monster ovals but i have yet to here them on a UK bike
doing stage1 right off the bat wont affect the engine at all it will run cooler and have the extra punt
Hobbit, don't know if you managed to hear a set of Monster Ovals on a UK bike yet, rest assured they are superb, I doubt if you'd be dissapointed. I have 2 friends with them, one on a 2008 Ultra Classic and one with a new 09 Road King. I am just soon to order a set plus the true duels for my '07 Road King Classic, hope to have them on for Thunder in The Glens rally at end August.

Back