free website stats program Tech question for the wrenches on here | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tech question for the wrenches on here

Which TFI is the best one for the 2009's? They have the one with the screwdriver-adjustable pots, and then the new, fancy-looking digital one?

Am I confused here?

I am a newbie though learning fast. I went to Stage 1 on my Sporty after my first month of riding. Million mile AC, SEII pipes and TFi fitted. Runs very nicely, better torque, acceleration, fuel efficiency! and great sound. No regrets here at all about early Staging. I've adjusted the pots a couple of times since fitting and it's no problem at all - like Glider says. IMO - go for it and good luck! :D

Last edited:
Marty: I was worried to about the TFI install as well. But when it came in the mail, I just went for it after reading and re-reading the instructions and posts here.

I didn't take off the tank, I disconnected the fuel line near the elbow near the tank (it's like a connector on an air hose and very little fuel came out.. like a drop or two), then took the seat off, removed the two screws keeping the tank bolted down. I then lifted the tank slowly and stuck some towels under it to keep it proped up. Don't lift too high. If then you can't get to the injectors on the air cleaner side, I removed the horn crossover on the other side and I easily got my hands in there.

I added the TFI first before my Ness Sucker and slip ons and just the TFI made the bike run smoother in my opinion. I have the srewdriver adjustable pots and mans it's easy to adjust.

Many people on here and TFI tech line can help you if you get stuck.

Have fun on the new ride!

If you go with a Power Commander it is basically plug and play if you are scared to start messing around too much.

Lord have mercy,I just read the rules...........anyway I couldnt find a way to start a new thread so I just wanted to ask? I have a 1989flhtc ultra with leaking rockers and base gaskets just put all new gaskets in .Never had a EVO before been riding shovels and ironhead sportys for years.......Whats the cure on this new aluminum evo cylinders and rocker leakage problems....warped rockers.........any solutions for the leaking base gaskets

Last edited by a moderator:
Grillfish- THANKS BRUTHA!! That's GREAT info. Now I don't feel so spooked.

I'm doing a search now for Glider's "Proper Engine Break-In" thread. I remember that a few months back... I wanna do it right!!

And THANK YOU ALL for all this help!! I'll let you know how it goes!! Just hung up with the Dealer; I should have my new baby on Thursday the 2nd!! <with my luck, it will rain all day LOLOLOL!!!>

Man, I am SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!!!

THANKS!!!

Which TFI is the best one for the 2009's? They have the one with the screwdriver-adjustable pots, and then the new, fancy-looking digital one?

Am I confused here?

No need to be confused. If you are riding an 08 or 09 Touring Harley you need TFI model # 1252ST. This one has the four screws that adjust the different potentiometers. Dial it in with the factory recommended settings and you are done, finito, no more. Takes maybe 5 minutes or less to dial it in. It works without using a dyno or a notebook computer to set it up. It adds fuel when you crank it on. The factory setting also make it run cooler than a bone stock bike because it adds just enough fuel to richen up the air to fuel ratio. Add a screaming eagle air cleaner to this combo and you have got the makings for a fine running Harley. The last time I looked at their website it said about $250.00 for the 1252ST. I got mine shipped to me for $150.00 because I am a vet. $8.00 shipping. They like vets and show it too.

No need to be confused. If you are riding an 08 or 09 Touring Harley you need TFI model # 1252ST. This one has the four screws that adjust the different potentiometers. Dial it in with the factory recommended settings and you are done, finito, no more. Takes maybe 5 minutes or less to dial it in. It works without using a dyno or a notebook computer to set it up. It adds fuel when you crank it on. The factory setting also make it run cooler than a bone stock bike because it adds just enough fuel to richen up the air to fuel ratio. Add a screaming eagle air cleaner to this combo and you have got the makings for a fine running Harley. The last time I looked at their website it said about $250.00 for the 1252ST. I got mine shipped to me for $150.00 because I am a vet. $8.00 shipping. They like vets and show it too.

I agree, great discount for vets and Matt was a very helpful guy. It made a world of difference compaired to the stock setting.

For better fuel economy set #1 exactly as they say,back down #2 by about 1 position from the reccomended setting,#3 by 1/2 a position, leave #4 at the recomended setting:D

Back