free website stats program Tailgaters, what to do? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tailgaters, what to do?

My Dolly and I were riding down a four lane divided road on a clear, cool afternoon not too long ago. The division was a median about 50 feet wide. I was riding in the right lane doing about 35 mph when out of a side street to my right flashes this little Honda or something like it, blows the STOP sign and cruises straight across to turn left on the other side of the median blowing that STOP sign too. As soon as I saw it, I stomped on the foot brake and gripped with my right hand. It's an '03, so no ABS. Locked them up skidding towards the side of the little car. My Dolly's chin hit the back of my head as we moved ever closer to the side of that car. It is all slow motion when this happens. The car passed in front of us with the bike clearing the rear bumper by about half a foot. When we came to a stop, I looked in the side mirror to see the little car merrily driving away from us on the other side of the divide.

I have a CHL, and always carry too. Thought about asking my wife to get off the bike and then I could go after that driver. And what? Shoot them and get thrown in jail? Get in a fight and get thrown in jail? Damage their car and get thrown in jail?

But Chopper is right. Doesn't hurt to fantasize! That driver got pretty torn up in my head!! After I calmed down enough, my wife and I headed down the road and had a great time together.

The bike will always lose against a cage or other four or more wheeler!! Ain't worth it. Let 'em go.

TQ

When told, you can't carry a gun on your bike, I told the officer I can't believe in a liberal state like California I have to explain the Bill of Rights, he called his superior's they looked it up and yep, what do you know there is such a thing, they told me I was legal, have a nice day and I went on my way. I have a CCW permit, I always pack my glock in a shoulder rig, legal in most states, but not in California, too bad I love California.

What is a CCW permit? And where is this issued?

CCW carry canceled wepon permit, means you can carry shot guns, switch blades, baseball bats, kitchen sinks, not just handguns canceled. Idaho, Alaska, Fla. and some other states have them I think. But if you've ever thrown a shoe at a president, don't waste your time trying to get one.

From the red light runners to tailgaters here in FL, it's tough out there.

For the tailgaters on single lane roads, I usually hold my brake slightly for a few seconds as I have BackOff module and it will flash the brake light. If that doesn't work, I slow down even more.

This week, I got honked at when I didn't take off right away when the light turned green. Guess what, someone blew the red light. I usually wait a few seconds when it turns green before I go.
Good thing you waited those few seconds!

The marble trick sounds like a good idea, but with my luck they would freak & lose control - maybe even take me out w/them. Normally I drive the speed limit & ignore them the best I can. Life's too short to get stressed - especially when I'm out on a nice cruise.

Last summer my wife and I delt with tail eaters a couple of times. the first time my wife turned and raised her had in a stop motion mouthing the words back off! the second time a lady was about three feet off my rear so I came to a slow roll and aggressively waved my hand in a backoff motion , so she passed me (in town) I turned and gave her the ( IM TOTALY (EDIT) LOOK) and pointed my finger at her. when we came up to the stop sign , as she was rolling up her window I told her how dangerous she was being. ( made me feel better anyway!)

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the road and traffic congestion whether I slow down, pull over or speed up.
I'll slow down if there's a lack of oncoming traffic so the tailgater can pass me safely. If they don't back off or pass, I'll look for a space where I can quickly pass the vehicle in front of me and let that car deal with them.
Not too many paved shoulders here in Manitoba so there's not many safe areas to pull over.

Gasbag hit the nail on the head.

A technique I use is to gradually slow, then gradually speed up, then gradually slow, on and on. It doesn't take long for the tailgater to think you're nutz, pass you, and look for their next victim to tailgate.

Some drivers invite tailgaters by not keeping up with the flow of traffic and/or leaving a very large gap in front of them. Some people call them "gappers". If you watch this you will see people try to go around them and then they will speed up. The person drops back and eventually starts to tailgate them to speed them up, close the gap, whatever.

There are some weird folks out there playing games while driving. There are also a ton of folk that do not know how to drive. I try to avoid all of them at all costs when I'm riding the bike.

It helps to know they haven't targeted you personally they don't even know you. Just get out of their way, they are idiots. Enjoy the ride!

Back