free website stats program Tailgaters, what to do? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tailgaters, what to do?

Strap a 12 guage double barrow shotgun to your front end in clear view, it might get you pulled in L.A. but cars give you more respect then then you ever thought possible.
A armed society is a polite society.

12guage.jpg

Me explaining the Second Amendment to the LAPD

Just curious, what was the outcome of that conversation?

i hate tailgaters ,i belive it is rude and dangerious. this is how i deal with them,i wait till the road is straight or ive stoped with them behind then, i turn round and stare straight at them. on the move about 3 seconds at stop about 15 ? 20 .this has allways worked and they drop back .

When I used to drive truck, I was a little to close to the car in front of me one night. After a few minutes he popped the left turn directional on, anticipating a turn I slowed and of course opened the gap between us, he then turned off the directional. After about the 3rd time (I was young and dense then), I got the message and stopped crowding him. I've since used this trick with pretty good success.

However, when the individual is to dense to figure it out I just go the speed limit and eventually do the arm signal to go around me.

I started this discussion because a Harley rider was murdered by a car on Saturday here in Washington State.

The car was tailgating on Hwy 512 and the Harley rider was riding with his buddy next to him. He swerved to miss some sheet metal on the freeway, lost control and flew into the cable barrier fencing (very dangerous stuff for a biker and we are lobbying to get rid of the stuff), then he was bounced back onto the Hwy by the fencing and the car that was tailgating them ran him over, along with two other cars tailgating, and he was killed. The first car never stopped and kept going, the other two cars did stop. They are currently looking for the car that probably killed him.

Just frustrated by the people driving, not caring about killing people. They might as well be shooting at you when they tailgate, it is the same thing.

BTW, I like the 12 gauge idea, except I would like it to point forward instead of down...

Just curious, what was the outcome of that conversation?
When told, you can't carry a gun on your bike, I told the officer I can't believe in a liberal state like California I have to explain the Bill of Rights, he called his superior's they looked it up and yep, what do you know there is such a thing, they told me I was legal, have a nice day and I went on my way. I have a CCW permit, I always pack my glock in a shoulder rig, legal in most states, but not in California, too bad I love California.

I started this discussion because a Harley rider was murdered by a car on Saturday here in Washington State.

Just frustrated by the people driving, not caring about killing people. They might as well be shooting at you when they tailgate, it is the same thing.

After reading that.... maybe Chopper is on to something with the 12 gauge:s

I pull off onto an off ramp, I change lanes, I pass the car in front of me and move over in front of that car, I change lanes and slow down and let the car pass me.

I NEVER do anything to antagonize a cage driver. After much research I have discovered they weigh a lot more than I do.

I rarely even ride next to a car as most drivers hate that loud exhaust in their left ear. I have found that if I am considerate of them, most will make an attempt to be considerate to me. The 1 or 2% of the drivers who are just plain idiots you can do nothing about except avoid them.

I have observed marbles, pennies, sprinkler pipe but I would never do that nor recommend it.

Tailgating, talking on phones, texting, drunk driving, being young and liking speed....all increase the risk of a collision. As said before, motorcyclists will always lose when mass is concerned. And most have no idea of what it means to kill someone through your own negligence. It can be called an "accident", but 99% of the time it is not and accident.

I think to myself, "This nut behind me is probably speeding to a job that they hate." Then I move over or pull off and let them go by.

I will say that I have only had to deal with tailgaters when I ride alone or with one other person. Three or more, I guess the cagers think they might be a "gang" or there is "strength in numbers".

I think gasbag hit the nail on the head, (the drivers who are just plain idiots you can do nothing about except avoid them) had friends that use to carry a pocket full of steely's, (ball bearings) and they would just reach in their pocket and grab a couple, put their hand back on the clutch and drop one or two, they would go through the radiator of the car or sometimes the windshield. It could cause the driver to loose control and that driver could have children in the back seat, or they could sway and hit a unsuspecting vehicle and kill someone that has nothing to do with the idiot driingr behind you. I live with enough stuff from my past, I don't think I could not live with that. But fantasizing never hurt anyone, carry-on:D

Back