free website stats program Tail of the Dragon Overrated? | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail of the Dragon Overrated?

Got back from Hayesville NC on Sunday. We had bad weather last week, rained every day except tuesday. Tuesday we went as far as Deals Gap but did not have time to go further. Friday we did it again and had to ride in the Rain so all corners were taken at speed limit or less. One of our group who is from CA indicated this type of driving is no big deal as many roads in CA are better.

So is it over rated? No it is fine for the east coast guys and sure that throughout the rest of the US there are roads that are just as challanging if not more so.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Went there last year my bike broke down on the way there & I road my brothers bike. Not the same. This year I road my 09 SG & it was much better. It was nice because I meet a bunch of guys from another forum. The Dragon is OK. But a lot of work. If you go do not take your eyes off the road. If you already know some nice roads go with them. Watch out for the leaf lookers, & by now watch out for the leaves on the road they can get real slippery. I found a nut on the road & it made my rear jump over about 4" Enough to make you pucker.

There are plenty of "nuts" on that road. I am glad that the one you found was the plant kind!! :D

How is it to ride in early January? Any snow and ice?

Hmmm.....mountains of North Carolina/Tennessee in January? ALWAYS a distinct possibility you'll run into those hazards. Even on a sunny day with air temps above freezing, it's almost totally shaded up there so the slick conditions would remain for quite some time.

Five-day forecast (Details)
Tomorrow
Dec 23Mostly Cloudy Thursday
Dec 24Rain Friday
Dec 25Rain Saturday
Dec 26Showers Sunday
Dec 27Snow Showers
Hi: 51°
Lo: 34°
Hi: 46°
Lo: 41°
Hi: 46°
Lo: 24°
Hi: 37°
Lo: 22°
Hi: 38°
Lo: 17°

Didn't quite come out the way I wanted it, but here's the weather forecast for Robbinsville, NC (the Dragon). Tracy

It's a great ride from what all my friends say.. Weekends are a definite NONO!
They say there are all sorts of crazies there when the weather is great.
My boyfreind wanted to ride over there on Memorial Day weekend. I SAY NO to any riding on any holiday weekend. People out there are crazy!

I'm going to get my time on it. Looking forward to it! Just not weekends and I plan on RIDING MY OWN RIDE and not worrying about others.

I do however have a CD Joe Motorman he does riding videos, he has one on Deals Gap. Check it out to see what it is all about. I always like to know what I'm getting into before I get into it. LOL good luck!
in this picture mine is the REAL FLAME BAGGER!

MYHOTBIKE.jpg

Thanks for the info, maybe I should plan on driving a little further south.

You probably already know this but if we're talking about January, you're going to really have to head south to increase your chances of nice riding weather. I went to weather.com and picked Orlando, Florida, and while the average low in January is 50 with an average high of 72, the record low on every single day is 33 or lower. If you happen to catch Florida during a cold snap, I guess Key West would be the only place warm enough to ride!

Cold weather riding isn't THAT much of a prob unless there is snow or ice. I ride every day to work unless it's raining or snowing (very rare here in Greensboro--but ice is a LOT more realistic). Rode to work last winter in single digit temps. Dress for it and it's no prob. If it were THAT much of a prob, riders in the mid-west wouldn't be riding snowmobiles in -40 degrees. Tracy

Back