free website stats program Tail of the Dragon Overrated? | Page 13 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail of the Dragon Overrated?

Got a friend with a Road King from Chicago coming down for a visit next week and he wants me to plan some day trips. Everyone from the Southeast constantly talks about "the Dragon" like it's the Holy Grail or something. We're cruisers, not racers, so if we went up there we'd motor along at the speed limit and just enjoy the ride.

I guess my question should be reworded to, "From a risk/reward standpoint, is the Dragon overrated?" I've heard the horror stories about aggressive riders running you off the road or coming into your lane from the opposite direction. Miata's, Corvette's, 18 wheelers, and RV's too.

I just feel like there's plenty of beautiful roads in North Georgia/Tenn/NC/SC without exposing yourself to the volume of danger not of your own making on the Dragon.

Other experiences and opinions, please!
It is what it is, I live here in the summer. Well not on the road but in my cabin right off the road. It is very patroled so it is no race track. Very nice places to rest, eat and socilize on both ends. The only reason it is so well known is because the jerk at the top end has so advertised as the baddest place to ride. He has a made lots of money doing so. The place at the bottom or start has much better food! Better prices too. The best riding in the area is not the Dragons Tail, just get a map and ride the whole area.

It is what it is, I live here in the summer. Well not on the road but in my cabin right off the road. It is very patroled so it is no race track. Very nice places to rest, eat and socilize on both ends. The only reason it is so well known is because the jerk at the top end has so advertised as the baddest place to ride. He has a made lots of money doing so. The place at the bottom or start has much better food! Better prices too. The best riding in the area is not the Dragons Tail, just get a map and ride the whole area.

Please educate me - which is the "top" and which is the "bottom?" Can you give us the names of the places you're talking about?

Thanks.

i have been two times with freinds from another forum and had a great time. we stay in robbinsville nc the people there are very friendly. i plan to go again this june. the road is cool but its more about the gathering of so many different style of bikers for me. the sportbike guys complain the cops are cracking down but i think that worked out good it is a public road not a racetrack.

Personally, JMHO, I prefer a lot of the other roads in that area more... only because the Dragon just gets too crowded with young kids on sport bikes nowadays.

If you ride the Dragon (or any blind corner for that matter), this is why you might want to hug the white shoulder line.
r_w_b-albums-tech+tips-picture6474-if_you_ride_the_dragon_or_any_blind_corner_for_that_matter_this_is_why_you_might_want_to_hug_the_white_shoulder_line.jpg

As far as a good place to eat, I was in the area for 10 days last October and found a great Tex Mex restaurant in Bryson City, I don't know if they have a Web Site but the name and address is;

Guayabitos Mexican Restaurant, Bryson City
236 Highway 19 S, Bryson City, NC 28713

Hope you have a good a meal as I had.

My plans to go to Daytona fell thru :(, but I still have mon & tue off. I plan to ride up to the Dragon on mon and then ride from the south end to the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway and be home tue. Tracy

My plans to go to Daytona fell thru :(, but I still have mon & tue off. I plan to ride up to the Dragon on mon and then ride from the south end to the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway and be home tue. Tracy

Update: Daytona still fell thru and I didn't leave early enough to do the Blue Ridge Pkwy, But did ride the Dragon at night (Mon) and again in the day (Tue). Night ride was MUCH better. Also did the Cherohala Skyway....Had to dodge a couple of long stretches (in the shady parts) of snow/ice covering the roadway. Pretty cool rides. 818 miles in a little over 24 hours. Left 130p Mon an got home 6p on Tues. Tracy

Back