free website stats program Tail of the Dragon Overrated? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail of the Dragon Overrated?

Great inputs from everyone - thanks! I'm sure I will eventually ride it but I'll get a few more miles under my belt first. Then I'll make sure it's a weekday morning, leave my ego at home, and take it at a nice safe pace.

Newb rider from Greensboro---What's "the Tail of the Dragon" & where is it? Thanks, Tracy

Don't have a map in front of me but I think it's highway 129 just north of Robbinsville, NC. 318 turns in 11 miles, mostly hairpin type!

It's a "Great Ride"!!!!.........If you don't trust your skills as a rider, maybe don't do it; no I take that back. If you can't lean and counter-steer you equipment then you shouldn't go on a road course...That's what this is,...to an extreme, because you have factors coming at you(and you will be in constant need of looking ahead of the direction you're going, and then need to go) that aren't normal for a transit road....I was a novice. We all are a one point. Be confident when you ride anywhere!! Thats all this is...except it's a "E" ticket ride the first time, then it turns into a "C" ticket ride...."C" for Confidence....Look...16 wheelers take it OK!!...You can tooo!!! Just ride it like you feel it,at your own pace...I went two up on a RK the first time and scraped floor boards 10 times, but after the trip you can say you did it and even get a Tee-shirt that says you did!!--Well, you can buy a T-shirt even if you didn't but what fun is that....P.S.---Cloverleaf entrance and exit ramps are similar, but coming at you all the time.... Remember they say this road has over 300 curves in 11 miles.( I was too busy turning to count)

The Blue Ridge Parkway which runs from Northern VA. down into NC is rated one of the ten best rides for bikes in the US. Mybe not as exciting as the Dragon, but a nice ride none the less.

Did the Dragon on my Heritage the end of May, mid week both ways. I would agree that week days are the best time to take this on. Also completed the Durango Million Dollar Hwy the first part of June on an Ultra Classic - another great ride and no crotch rockets to contend with. Both routes are fun rides providing you stay within your abilities and comfort zone.

I LOVED the Dragon! have ridden it a few times, Dont think i will take the HD on it though. To many low parts that will drag, and i dont want to putt around it going 15-30, and pulling over to let the faster bikes go buy.

My last trip on my Warrior(yamaha) i did 1000 bucks in damage, and i didnt even wreck, ground down the kickstand, forward controls and Bubs shorties, and had to replace both tires and worn down parts when i got home.

Definitly go during the week. some rules STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE!!! most important one....
also let faster traffic pass, and be aware of the road markings that tell you if there is oil on the road, decreasing radius curve and other dangers.

but nothing (EDITED) more when you get behind some slower riders that wont let you pass and you are stuck behind them for several miles. especially seeing there are pull over zones every mile. Have seen many an incident at the store where the slow riders and lane crossers get a butt chewing by other patrons of the road.....

k i l l b o y . c o m - Your High Quality Photos fromthe Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap has some great pics of the dragon, and if anyone goes, check his site and he will have pics of you.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back