free website stats program Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop

It would be a shame to spend $125 when not needed. You can always put the battery on a charger overnight and then have it carbon pile load tested in the morning. I don't know what your amp/hour rating your battery has but you should be able to place about a 125 amp load on it for 15 seconds without the post voltage falling below about 9.8 volts.
That would be a fair test of strength.

I assume that the battery terminals are clean and tight because if they were not tight and the test meter was connected to the cable terminals and not directly to the battery posts themselves, you could get a low voltage reading on the test meter even if the battery post voltage was high.

I got a good bike battery from a friends bike and had the same issue , i also tried an optima red top 12v battery and same issue/// not a battery issue as i thought, i double checked all grounding points and sanded on any possible corrosion so again im stumped, i think my next things i will try is a possibly a starter test at HD dealership , if thats good then i will replace the starting system relay, and after that if there is no more ideas from my friends on here i will take it in and bite the big bill bullet/:

Since it would appear that this is not a battery issue, and since the motor will turn over without the plugs installed, could this be a worn bearing in the starter or in the other end where the jackshaft enters the bearing in the outer primary? Something is worn enough that when there is compression on the motor it causes the starter jackshaft to jam? The circuit breakers are on the rear fender behind the oil bag and between the tank halves.

I got a good bike battery from a friends bike and had the same issue

Did you happen to check the voltage drop across that known good battery. It is always nice to cross check your results.
Assuming the test battery was pulled to its knees also, your down to just a couple of possibilities. Without knowing the bike or engine, you never can rule out an engine having a problem which would result in an extreme amount of internal resistance. But before I went through the trouble to measure the torque needed to turn the engine by hand, I would just say the starter is bad. Either you have shorted commutator segments or a field pole is shorted. The brushes could be so worn that all the brush carbon is shorting out the works.

Looking at your schematic, the high current solenoid is part of the starter. It can't be the starter relay itself, and ruling out internal engine friction, it's got to be a problem that is internal to the starter. At least that's my guess....

Attachments

• Softail_Starter#1.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Softail_Starter#2.pdf
    240.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Softail_Starter#3.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 10
I agree with Hoople it absolutely canot be the starter relay, If the battery is good and connections are good I have only seen 2 things that cause the battery voltage to get pulled down that far and that would be a motor that is to tight or a internal starter problem or like HD Don stated possable problem in the jack saft bearing causing it to bind.

Are your heads fitted with compression releases?

This being an Evo even with shaved heads, I would not see the need for compression releases The starters them selves were not much of a problem, the drives and jack shafts were most of the problems here, More info on what or what not has been done to this bike would help, but I would bet a bad drive or binding jack shaft are to blame here

I have never had one apart, but here is some info on Jack-shaft and starter removal that may help.

Attachments

• Jack_shaft.pdf
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 22
This being an Evo even with shaved heads, I would not see the need for compression releases The starters them selves were not much of a problem, the drives and jack shafts were most of the problems here, More info on what or what not has been done to this bike would help, but I would bet a bad drive or binding jack shaft are to blame here

Your likely on the right track, I simply want to eliminate a variable.

I do have a "built" EVO with compression releases and my EVO definitely needs the compression releases for starting.

Looking at your first post on your problem, I would say that you got a bike that the engine was not rebuilt to specs. I would say the only cure would be to go into the engine.

Since it would appear that this is not a battery issue, and since the motor will turn over without the plugs installed, could this be a worn bearing in the starter or in the other end where the jackshaft enters the bearing in the outer primary? Something is worn enough that when there is compression on the motor it causes the starter jackshaft to jam? The circuit breakers are on the rear fender behind the oil bag and between the tank halves.

perhaps you are correct , i will definitely get my starter checked, and go from there,and if that is good then i will have to look more in motor. i don't want to have to jump into the inner motor unless i have to, im not concerned with difficulty but due to the corps schedule im on it will be a wait until i get the time/=

Back