free website stats program Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop

If it spins the engine over with the plugs out the pistons are not seized You sure about NO breakers, Pull the starter off and have it bench tested,

I will take it off and check the starter is there a certain way to do that? once i remove it i ground the frame and apply power , i know it will spin because it spins with the plug wires grounded so is there a kind of voltage/amp check i need to do ??

You need to take it to a starter repair rebuild shop and have them test it. HD may be able to do it too.

Just a small tip. It makes it easier to follow the thread if you click the "Quote" button at the bottom of a reply to quote it in your reply. You can use "multi-quote" for more than one.

At first i attempted to do that ,but this forum required me to have 4 or 5 post first before it would allow me to quote and post and or add smilies, sorry

I will take it off and check the starter is there a certain way to do that? once i remove it i ground the frame and apply power , i know it will spin because it spins with the plug wires grounded so is there a kind of voltage/amp check i need to do ??

You need to take it to a starter repair rebuild shop and have them test it. HD may be able to do it too.

Unless you can load the starter and have the correct test equipment follow what Bodeen has posted here and Good Luck Just because it spins the motor OK with the plugs out does not equal a good starter, remember there is not much load on it then, and find the breakers on that bike and do check the cables from the battery to the sarter

Yes i do have a really good multimeter

Just for the heck of it,, it may give some insight..
Place the meter directly across the battery with alligator clips. With plugs removed, what is the meter reading while cranking engine with plugs removed. Record value. If above 11.0 volts, continue.

Now install plugs. Leave plug wires grounded. Watch meter and hit starter button. Does meter value sink deep (below 9.0) then comes up? Keep finger on starter button. If engine spins twice then stops on its own, what is volt meter reading at this time (with engine seized and finger on button).

Just for the heck of it,, it may give some insight..
Place the meter directly across the battery with alligator clips. With plugs removed, what is the meter reading while cranking engine with plugs removed. Record value. If above 11.0 volts, continue.

Now install plugs. Leave plug wires grounded. Watch meter and hit starter button. Does meter value sink deep (below 9.0) then comes up? Keep finger on starter button. If engine spins twice then stops on its own, what is volt meter reading at this time (with engine seized and finger on button).

The battery reads 12.82 on bike its 12.80, with the spark plugs in it sinks to between 3-4 :swoon , i will test it now with the plugs grounded and reply

The battery reads 12.82 on bike its 12.80, with the spark plugs in it sinks to between 3-4 :swoon , i will test it now with the plugs grounded and reply

so i took out the plugs and grounded the lines and it was 12.80 before then after i turn with the engine spinning freely it read between 7-8 so althought my batteries will start my truck is it possible all three of the batteries are fried and or is it something with the solenoid relay not allowing enough current to pass while it closes?

is it something with the solenoid relay not allowing enough current to pass while it closes?

Just the opposite..... if the battery is "good", the starting system is drawing too much current. An induction amp probe would be really handy right now to pin-point the problem, but 3-4 volts is crazy low you would only see if the battery was bad.

Either the battery is bad (not fully charged), or the starter motor itself has a serious problem.
Normal current draw should probably be about 125-140 amps on a stock engine with stock compression.
To take a good/fully charged battery to 3-4 volts would require a current draw of 450 amps.

Just the opposite..... if the battery is "good", the starting system is drawing too much current. An induction amp probe would be really handy right now to pin-point the problem, but 3-4 volts is crazy low you would only see if the battery was bad.

Either the battery is bad (not fully charged), or the starter motor itself has a serious problem.
Normal current draw should probably be about 125-140 amps on a stock engine with stock compression.
To take a good/fully charged battery to 3-4 volts would require a current draw of 450 amps.

Well that's pretty insane when you put it that way ,im going to get a brand new battery tommarow and see if that's the problem, what could possibly cause that much energy draw? i have always noticed that the lights dim severely while i attempt to start , as well as a weak horn< not sure if this is relevant,,, what about the starter relay? also if neither are the problem what about replacing or rebuilding the starter

It would be a shame to spend $125 when not needed. You can always put the battery on a charger overnight and then have it carbon pile load tested in the morning. I don't know what your amp/hour rating your battery has but you should be able to place about a 125 amp load on it for 15 seconds without the post voltage falling below about 9.8 volts.
That would be a fair test of strength.

I assume that the battery terminals are clean and tight because if they were not tight and the test meter was connected to the cable terminals and not directly to the battery posts themselves, you could get a low voltage reading on the test meter even if the battery post voltage was high.

Back