free website stats program stuck oil filter help | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

stuck oil filter help

I believe that filter wrench is called a "spider" wrench, Fin. I have had one for years and I use it on all my vehicles ... it has never let me down. Anyone interested can google for spider wrenches and find out more. Most auto aftermarket parts stores have them ... less than $10, probably.

But ... I found a pretty good deal last year on K&N oil filters ... the ones with the nut mated on the top. I bought 6 of them for my FLHRC. If there's anything that works better than the spider wrench, it's the nut welded on the filter.

Steve is correct, I believe they are 15 micron or higher. TC motors use a 5 micron filter due to their oil misters for the pistons. A particle bigger could possibly clog the mister. This is the main reason for using the HD filter.

Has any one ever had the 'nipple'( the part the filter screws onto) come off with the filter? Had that happen today. I am hoping I can get that off without the dealers help. Any suggestions? And any suggestions to keep it from happening again? I only go hand tight. I dont understand why it is so much tighter coming off.

You should be able to remove the nipple with minimal work. I would clean out the threads in the mount and us a bit of locktite if there is no shoulder on the nipple to seat it with when reinstalling it.

I had this happen on a 97 FLHT Ditto what Glider said it works

i had a dealer put the chrome hd filter on my bike it was welded on i used the tool no go then the channel locks then the srewdriver trick no, i destroyed the filter still stuck finally i put a new filter housin on then put the old one in a vise to get it off now it is chrome which i could care less about . if you put it in a vise be careful cause it will distort one end if it slips i use the blk filters and they do not slip as much i change my oil every 1000 miles this one was on there 1500 mb

I had this happen on my wife's bronco after a jiffy lube service. The filter started to tear apart with the screw driver method.
I cleaned the filter and the filter wrench with alcohol and JB welded/epoxy'ed the wrench to the filter. I had to use a breaker bar to get it loose, but the it worked. I know it cost me a "filter socket", but it was only $7 for a new one.

One more lesson to do it yourself if you can, follow procedure and use a torque wrench.

Had a weak moment and let dealer do my 20k service oil change . Started doing my 25k oil change and when i tried to remove the oil filter with the hd filter wrench it just slipped and would'nt loosen the filter. I then tried my web strap oil filter tool and the filter just bent and still would'nt loosen. Anyone had this problem and if so how did you get it loose . Not much room to get to the filter . Would penatrating oil help ?

I use the Harley wrench (not that impressed with it) and when it happened to me I took my rag place it over the filter then tapped the wrench over it and eased it off. I think I may have gotten lucky. I told myself then I will never use my wrench again to give it that little extra snug. NO no no...

removed V regulator and oil cooler, got channel locks on it to bust it loose . oiled the gasket put filter on hand tight plus half turn .

removed V regulator and oil cooler, got channel locks on it to bust it loose . oiled the gasket put filter on hand tight plus half turn .
==========================================================
HOORAY!! I was wondering what the outcome was. :s

Back