free website stats program stuck oil filter help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

stuck oil filter help

I work at Sears and that wrench is breaking an awful lot I suspect Japanese steel here Oh Oh

OOps The stealers did this to my 97 FL:HT way back when I remember the filter stand pipe came off with the filter never again did I let the stealers do an oil change that one was free LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
The strap type filter remover works and if it is to tight put a thin piece of rubber between the filter and strap, be sure to find your crank sensor so you can avoid any tool you use from breaking it off, and use some oil on the seal of the new filter to keep this from happening again

thanks for the info i tried the strap wrench and bent the filter would'nt budge just bent filter . called dealer said bring it in they would get it off . think they forgot to oil the gasket.

The voltage regulator comes off with just 2 nuts. I always pull it off before changing the filter. It makes clean up easier too. Then you can get to the filter flange if some "man mountain Dean" installs it too tight. Most people tighten stuff too tight. I know it can come loose if there is a lot of vibration but if you don't go overboard tightening stuff and just get it "snug" you probably won't have too much trouble getting it off in the future and I've never had a filter on a car or bike leak. Just my opinion and experience...

I work at Sears and that wrench is breaking an awful lot I suspect Japanese steel here Oh Oh

Actually, I use a Snap-On one that "looks" like the Sears one, but if tool breaks, it is a Craftsman, so they exchange it with another. :s

Oh...and it is likely NOT Japanese, as they do have quality steel and alloys for many years, but nowadays if it was Made in China, that would give me a bit of a pause...:34:

I had the same thing happen to me on my very first change.I had one of those removers that looks like a letter "U".As you turn it against the filter,the arms of the "U" grab and tighten on the filter.Mine was on so tight that the arms bent!I resorted to TWO screwdrivers through the filter-albeit carefully.It was the only way to get the filter off.Because i've fitted an oil cooler,which hinders access,"strap tools" wouldn't work.

I've since bought the H-D tool:the one that looks like a big socket with a piece cut out to clear the Crank Positioning sensor.Remember,dont do it up too tight!

hay mad man thats ok that the filter is bending keep applying steady force to the filter it will come loose.:newsmile100:

Back