free website stats program Starting issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting issues

Roadhog88

I have an 05 road king that I converted into a ultra classic won't start, I've changed the main wiring harness added a overlay harness changed the ignition and bike won't start, started before I changed over i need help

I have an 05 road king that I converted into a ultra classic won't start, I've changed the main wiring harness added a overlay harness changed the ignition and bike won't start, started before I changed over i need help

I think further clarification of what was converted is necessary to assist resolving the issue. What was converted?

I think further clarification of what was converted is necessary to assist resolving the issue. What was converted?
The main wiring harness, overlay fairing harness, ignition was changed, I have a red security light on. The code that comes up is u1097 cleared code and comes back still won't start

Does it crank ?. If so is there power on the coils , to start with !.
It will not crank, has power to coil

Last edited by a moderator:
Before we go further, let's clear some things up language wise. Won't crank and won't start can mean the same or different things to different people. If the engine turns over, it cranks. If the engine does "crank" squirt some gas or starting fluid into the mouth of the carb. or inj. body, and see if it starts momentarily. Also we'd like to know if it is carb. or F.I. Is your ign. switch still on the tank? You just changed a $#&*load of electrical components so the more we know, the less we will have to ask or give irrelevant answers. U1097 indicates a speedo/ecm communication error.

Before we go further, let's clear some things up language wise. Won't crank and won't start can mean the same or different things to different people. If the engine turns over, it cranks. If the engine does "crank" squirt some gas or starting fluid into the mouth of the carb. or inj. body, and see if it starts momentarily. Also we'd like to know if it is carb. or F.I. Is your ign. switch still on the tank? You just changed a $#&*load of electrical components so the more we know, the less we will have to ask or give irrelevant answers. U1097 indicates a speedo/ecm communication error.
Bike won't do anything and yes I have power to all area needed coil, ecm, tssm, relays and all fuses are good

Not sure why the ignition, harness etc. was changed unless it was from a later model. Is the harness OEM or aftermarket? Do you have the service manual with the wiring diagrams and, if so, have you checked all connections against that diagram? Could be a compatibility issue between the new harness and the ECM? Get to basics; fire and fuel are the two necessary elements required; do you have spark at the plugs? Is the fuel system providing fuel? I am suspecting that you don't have either one but let's start there.;)

With all the electrical components that have been changed, you are lucky there is only one code thrown.

What will it do ,if you put a wire from the batterie , directly on the starter . This ofcourse with the mainswitch in ON position.
Or when the starter-relais is "hotwired" ?

I have power every where I'm supposed to

I have power every where I'm supposed to
I'm at a loss I did ever thing I'm supposed to help

What will it do ,if you put a wire from the batterie , directly on the starter . This ofcourse with the mainswitch in ON position.
Or when the starter-relais is "hotwired" ?
The starter will turn over when jumped but the code is keeping it from starting

Last edited by a moderator:
Back