free website stats program Starter Engaging on it's Own!!? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Engaging on it's Own!!?

Doesn't mention Dyna's R W B - I will have it in to the dealership asap - once I'm back from the Mainland, I will be sure to let the Forum know the complete story. stay tuned...

I recently put a new Mustang seat on the bike. Someone who has no business having an opinion on the subject has now planted a seed in my head that will not go away. Could this seat affect the BCM - Body Control Module?? It is right under the seat. The Mustang slipped right on no problem. I went to the shed to check, and the seat is on properly. Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently put a new Mustang seat on the bike. Someone who has no business having an opinion on the subject has now planted a seed in my head that will not go away. Could this seat affect the BCM - Body Control Module?? It is right under the seat. The Mustang slipped right on no problem. I went to the shed to check, and the seat is on properly. Just a thought...

We always ask "what was the last thing done" when we try to find a problem. Try riding it with the stock seat.

Doesn't mention Dyna's R W B - I will have it in to the dealership asap - once I'm back from the Mainland, I will be sure to let the Forum know the complete story. stay tuned...

We always ask "what was the last thing done" when we try to find a problem. Try riding it with the stock seat.

Yes I was curious why the recall only affected softails ? I guess they get a different BCM than the Dynas.

You guys might be on to something with the seat since the BCM is a security based component .. . correct ? So there is warrant to check that avenue out. But even though the BCM controls the starter relay I just kinda find it hard to imagine why a security issue would cause power to go to the starter. If that's the case it seems a bit dysfunctional to me. But I'm probably digressing too far as I have a problem with doing.

The seat could be just messing up the BCM circuitry causing it to malfunction in undetermined ways. But yes please do let us know how this comes out.

Oh and I have a question, does the BCM replace the TSSM on those models or is it in addition to ?

Good day Dynajoe... Had the same problem on the Ultra coming back from holidays this last summer. Turned out to be the starter switch (drove in rain 7 out of 10 days). Was not all that hard to troubleshoot with a test light and new switch wasn't all that expensive... Good luck with this and let use know what you find... Charlie and myself are looking forward to meeting you down island this coming spring!!!:D

If you are under warranty then just take it on in. Otherwise I would check that wire going from the starter to the relay for a grounded short. It could be vibrating during running and causing your symptoms.

Course the iginition switch could be doing the exact same thing since Hoople says there's no safety prevent for that.

Jack I've heard of carbon tracking on Distributor caps going to more than one cylinder, but it still has to have the coil supply a spark.

How can the soleniod carbon track without power coming to it ?

I guess your FXDC is not part of this ?

Harley-Davidson is recalling nearly 7,000 Softail vehicles it sold last year because the Body Control Module may not have been properly sealed, which could allow water into the BCM and cause the engine to stall. The company received two reports related to the BCM, but no injuries or accidents have occurred. A stalled engine could result in a crash, posing an injury hazard or death.

The recall affects certain model year 2011 Softail motorcycles built between June 7, 2010 and October 8, 2010; other 2011 Softails which had a Security System Kit installed as an accessory, plus 805 accessory kits containing a BCM and sold in the aftermarket.

The Milwaukee, Wisconsin based manufacturer says the first incident took place in August 2010 when the BCM on a customer’s bike failed. The company launched an internal review and it contacted the BCM supplier, Delphi Automotive Systems, LLC. Delphi, in turn, identified the problem as being related to the improper gluing of two halves of the BCM case which allowed leaks to occur.

Harley says it will notify owners on or before February 21, 2011. Its dealers will remove and replace the BCM on affected motorcycles, including units that were equipped with the accessory kit, at no charge.

Dave, there is always battery voltage at the main post on the starter, if the carbon tracking on the inside of the solenoid builds up it can flash over all on its own, usually there is a crack on the solenoid letting moisture in

Dave, there is always battery voltage at the main post on the starter, if the carbon tracking on the inside of the solenoid builds up it can flash over all on its own, usually there is a crack on the solenoid letting moisture in

Oh ok, so you are saying it flashes to ground. I would not have thought enough carbon would build up to gap to the housing, but I do imagine it could happen. A lot of things come to mind with that scenario, none good. Definitely better get that fixed.

Oh ok, so you are saying it flashes to ground. I would not have thought enough carbon would build up to gap to the housing, but I do imagine it could happen. A lot of things come to mind with that scenario, none good. Definitely better get that fixed.

It's not so much a carbon buildup that causes carbon tracking but when moisture is present it can be a major contributor to carbon tracking. Once the EMF flashes to ground, a "path" is left and can cause further flashing to ground because the path is established.

So I took my bike to the dealership yesterday. They couldn't find the problem. The shop foreman took the bike for a ride, and the starter did not engage once. Looked at handle bar controls, found some corrosion on a relay (2011 bike corrosion?) charged me $110.00 shop time, gave me my filthy, dirty bike and said good-bye. OK - I guess I'll install the new headlamp that I had just purchased (20 percent off got it for $400.00) Part # 67700043A. Had all sorts of problems starting the thread on the harness to tighten up the lamp, so it took some time, started the bike, went on my way and the starter engaged for only a nano second. dang... I then rode the bike all over the big city of Vancouver and the Lower Mainland all the way to the US border, then back north to catch the ferrie home to Vancouver Island, then 50 miles home, 3 tanks of gas, and the starter did not engage once, I think. I thought that I may have heard something at 80 m.p.h. but can't be sure.
Ferrie charges bikes $40.00 one way, ouch.
I'm gonna go wash my bike now. Have a good one

So I took my bike to the dealership yesterday. They couldn't find the problem. The shop foreman took the bike for a ride, and the starter did not engage once. Looked at handle bar controls, found some corrosion on a relay (2011 bike corrosion?) charged me $110.00 shop time, gave me my filthy, dirty bike and said good-bye. OK - I guess I'll install the new headlamp that I had just purchased (20 percent off got it for $400.00) Part # 67700043A. Had all sorts of problems starting the thread on the harness to tighten up the lamp, so it took some time, started the bike, went on my way and the starter engaged for only a nano second. dang... I then rode the bike all over the big city of Vancouver and the Lower Mainland all the way to the US border, then back north to catch the ferrie home to Vancouver Island, then 50 miles home, 3 tanks of gas, and the starter did not engage once, I think. I thought that I may have heard something at 80 m.p.h. but can't be sure.
Ferrie charges bikes $40.00 one way, ouch.
I'm gonna go wash my bike now. Have a good one

Why were you charged for a warranty issue, your bike should have 2 years warranty with no out of pocket expense?

He said I was charged because there was no problem with the bike. Words cannot describe my disapointment and embarassement.

Back