free website stats program Starter Engaging on it's Own!!? | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Engaging on it's Own!!?

Dynajoe

Was cruising Christmas day, got about 80 miles in when I came to a stop and noticed a funny noise. I wasn't sure at first, but now I am convinced that my starter is engaging, stopping and re-engaging again, over and over, while the engine is idling. I stopped the bike, and the engine and then restarted, and this stuff stopped. OK must be an anomoly. Let the engine cool off and then wash it up. I made sure to keep the water off the handle bars and the starter controls. Started it up and the starter was on and off and on and off again, only now reapeating the starter engaging more often. I booked the bike with the dealership as it looks like the wheel balancing weights are missing from the rear wheel as well.
What could cause my starter engaging during idle??

I believe the 2011's have an electrical firmware interlock (ECM/TSSM driven) which inhibits the starter from engaging while the engine is running (crank signal is present) so it can't be the grip starter button itself.

So that would leave the starter solenoid or starter relay in the fuse box. My guess the relay.

Thanks Hoople - the knowledge you pass along to me gives me an edge when I talk to the dealership guys. This has to be warranty...

Wow I feel good, I actually thought the same thing as Hoople. I must be gettin better on some of this. I was thinking if it wasn't the relay then the solenoid wouldn't even be getting a signal. Bar some sort of intermittant wire cross somewhere.

My mistake. I did not realize the Dyna's were HDLan for 2011. Read page 23 of 84.
Harley Davidson Community

This means the problem can be deeper than I thought. Sorry about that. I thought FL were the only HDLAN models for 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbon tracking short internal in solenoid could cause this, Warranty will cover it:s

Thanks Bro's - I love this forum...

Do let us know what the dealer says the problem is. I have seen starters do this before, by taking the solenoid apart and cleaning the contacts this can solve the problem, Electricity is a funny animal

BCM - Body Control Module - This could be the problem, it controls thestarter solenoid as well as a bunch of other extra goodies. Thanks fo the PDF Hoople!!!!

If you are under warranty then just take it on in. Otherwise I would check that wire going from the starter to the relay for a grounded short. It could be vibrating during running and causing your symptoms.

Course the iginition switch could be doing the exact same thing since Hoople says there's no safety prevent for that.

Jack I've heard of carbon tracking on Distributor caps going to more than one cylinder, but it still has to have the coil supply a spark.

How can the soleniod carbon track without power coming to it ?

I guess your FXDC is not part of this ?

Harley-Davidson is recalling nearly 7,000 Softail vehicles it sold last year because the Body Control Module may not have been properly sealed, which could allow water into the BCM and cause the engine to stall. The company received two reports related to the BCM, but no injuries or accidents have occurred. A stalled engine could result in a crash, posing an injury hazard or death.

The recall affects certain model year 2011 Softail motorcycles built between June 7, 2010 and October 8, 2010; other 2011 Softails which had a Security System Kit installed as an accessory, plus 805 accessory kits containing a BCM and sold in the aftermarket.

The Milwaukee, Wisconsin based manufacturer says the first incident took place in August 2010 when the BCM on a customer’s bike failed. The company launched an internal review and it contacted the BCM supplier, Delphi Automotive Systems, LLC. Delphi, in turn, identified the problem as being related to the improper gluing of two halves of the BCM case which allowed leaks to occur.

Harley says it will notify owners on or before February 21, 2011. Its dealers will remove and replace the BCM on affected motorcycles, including units that were equipped with the accessory kit, at no charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back