free website stats program Starter button dead | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter button dead

I would be willing to bet the battery is OK. You said the reading is 12.6, 12.7 is a fully charged battery, you should at least get it to spin over. I wonder if the addition of the LED lights you mentioned could be the culprit. Did the bike run after you added the lights. If not I would look there.

Measure the voltage @ the battery lug on the starter, when you hit the button does it drop? If not pull the starter

If your battery passes a load test, measure the vols @ the starter lug, hit the button does it drop? If not check the starter is grounded if this checks out pull the starter

As Jack is pointing to starter can you reach starter with a rubber mallet and tap on starter and see what happens. If starter on a dead spot possible the vibration will move the insides enough that starter may work.
Then you will know for sure...

Ok. Tapped starter and nothing. Voltage at solenoid at 12.45 with ignition on and doesn't change when starter button is pushed. Took jumper cables ran from positive side of battery to wire going from solenoid to starter. Starter whines up. Motor doesn't turn. Voltage at that wire is 0 with and without the starter button being pushed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    991.9 KB · Views: 4
Have you had any indication the starter might be getting week or did this come on all of the sudden? Normally a starter will give you some kind of warning that something's a miss.

As dbmg suggested, if you can get to it give it a couple rapps and see if it frees it up. It doesn't sound like it's a battery issue from what you described.

So Jack maybe onto something, Then whine appears to be solenoid that is not engaging starter drive. Odd that nothing happens when starter switch applied.

The starter gave me no warning whatsoever. I've tapped it with a hammer and nothing. I also checked voltage on the plug with the green wire that plugs into the solenoid. No voltage there either. So, there's voltage at the big post on the solenoid . None at the wire leaving the solenoid to the starter and none on the plug that plugs into the solenoid. Could it be a fuse somewhere? Is the fuse box behind the plate with the exam relay and fuel pump relay?

The starter gave me no warning whatsoever. I've tapped it with a hammer and nothing. I also checked voltage on the plug with the green wire that plugs into the solenoid. No voltage there either. So, there's voltage at the big post on the solenoid . None at the wire leaving the solenoid to the starter and none on the plug that plugs into the solenoid. Could it be a fuse somewhere? Is the fuse box behind the plate with the exam relay and fuel pump relay?
There will be NO power @ the green wire until it is triggered d by the relay or jumper ed that is the ignition side of the solenoid

Back