free website stats program Starter button dead | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter button dead

Ha ha. I have checked it 100 times. I know, it seems like I'm looking over something so simple. Battery is still on trickle charger. I put the battery in and it fired right up 2 weeks ago. I'm seriously stumped!

Could be a bad kill switch....

When applying starter button is headlight dipping in brightness. Is neutral light on when trying to start?

If you hold your fingers on the starter relay that Jack posted and push the start button you should feel it click. Just because if clicks doesn't mean that its good. If it doesn't click your problem could be elsewhere.

Are you sure connection at starter is clean and tight by removing and reinstalling connector.

shopping

When you pull the relay. Take a volt ohm meter on DC voltage and test the socket points that the relay came out of at the two outside pins that have three in a row. When you hit the start button you should get 12VDC or as close to battery voltage as possible. That voltage is what
"picks" (makes it click) the relay. Terminals 87 and 30 are the two terminals that are made to complete the start circuit. As jack pointed out you can jumper with heavy gauge wire at this point to see if the starter spins.

NEUTRAL IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you pull the relay. Take a volt ohm meter on DC voltage and test the socket points that the relay came out of at the two outside pins that have three in a row. When you hit the start button you should get 12VDC or as close to battery voltage as possible. That voltage is what
"picks" (makes it click) the relay. Terminals 87 and 30 are the two terminals that are made to complete the start circuit. As jack pointed out you can jumper with heavy gauge wire at this point to see if the starter spins.

NEUTRAL IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!
I'm thinking my battery may be drained. It's showing voltage but maybe the current is low. I'm gonna try taking my battery out of my pickup and jumping the post on the solenoid and see if that turns the starter. If so I know the amperage is low on the bike battery. Then I'll have to find out what's drawing it down while its sitting. I guess I could put a disconnect switch on the hot wire at the battery. I forgot to mention over the winter I hooked up a license plate bracket with led lights. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks fellas! The weather is starting to get too nice in WV to be bikeless!

I would just take battery back to supplier and have them check it. There have been times using a car battery to jump a bike has not ended well. You need to have battery bench tested with a load test also. Try not to over think it. If lights are not dimming while activating starter switch and you do not hear relay clicking then power is not getting to starter for some reason and the battery would be a good place to start.

Too late. I already did the car battery thing. Came home this morning from work to the trickle charger showing full charge. Just to be sure, I took out battery and hooked connections up to jumper cables connected to my car battery. Still the same. Even went as far as hooking the jumper cables to the frame ground and post on the solenoid ( while bike was in neutral). Starter did not turn over. Does this mean relays are good? I mean the starter solenoid is getting power and nothing is happening. Maybe brushes are stuck between poles? Does anyone think this takes the new battery out of the equation?

Back