free website stats program Stage 1 is it worth it? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 is it worth it?

Thanks to all for your feedback. California doesn't require an emissions test but many cities are now starting to check for original compliant stamped exhaust systems. No doubt a stage 1 is in my future.:D

I just completed mine: SE air cleaner, Hooker tuned flow slip-ons (set for torque), and a TFI for fuel. Great power increase, no more pinging from stop or rolling on at lower rpm in higher gears, lower operating temps. So far, the only mpg sacrifice is from additional throttle twisting. I guess I'll calm down eventually, and find out what I really have mpg-wise.

Stage-1, tuned with a butt-dyne: This is the way the scooter should have run all along. Worth it? Without a doubt.

Enjoy,
Rich P

2+to what rick1062 said, carbed or FI the reasons may be different, procedures quite a bit more convoluted with EFI, but the results are just as impressive and well worth it and probably the most common performance mod done to a Harley.

I am very happy with stage one SE Ventilator A/C, SE Fatshotz Slip-ons, & SEPST...Bike runs cooler, a little more power, I left the cat in for now ......:)

I don't want to knock CA's emission laws b/c I'm all for healthier air. When stationed in Northern CA I owned a Suzuki Intruder (yes, HD "wanna be") w/CA emission & it was a dog. Swore to never buy another vehicle in CA - especially something w/1-4 cyl. Definitely do the Stage-1, TFI & pipes - it's the best bang for your buck.

I installed LA Choppers XXX breather ($210), Rinehart Racing pipes ($400) & Dobeck TFI ($150) on my 09 FLHX so total cost was ~$760 & some change. I haven't had the bike on a dyno yet, but feel a huge difference when I roll the Left hand. Your stock breather's like sucking air through a straw...gotta get the flow increased while maintaining good fuel mix (thus the TFI).

Like Mr. Nike says - "Just Do it!"

Had a stage one done on a 2010 RKC 2 months ago with SE Supertuner, V and H ovals slip ons and SE air cleaner. Bike runs cooler (Texas) with noticeably more power. It was definitely worth it to me. Twisting that grip is much more fun now.

Thanks to all for your feedback. California doesn't require an emissions test but many cities are now starting to check for original compliant stamped exhaust systems. No doubt a stage 1 is in my future.:D

If you go with the TFI, It isn't that big of a job to reverse the plug-ins to use original HD's Too Lean condition and the 02 sensors re-plug to "Pass their test" then switch back to the Good stuff with very little work..
I think the V&H slip-ons comply but ? on the air.. But Much leaner than the stock HD to start with when un-doing TFI.

Just my thoughts.

signed....BUBBIE

If you go with the TFI, It isn't that big of a job to reverse the plug-ins to use original HD's Too Lean condition and the 02 sensors re-plug to "Pass their test" then switch back to the Good stuff with very little work..
I think the V&H slip-ons comply but ? on the air.. But Much leaner than the stock HD to start with when un-doing TFI.

Just my thoughts.

signed....BUBBIE
Instead of disconnecting the TFI, could you not just set the green, yellow, and red pots back to minimum, and reconnect the O2 sensors and be good to go?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Instead of disconnecting the TFI, could you not just set the green, yellow, and red pots back to minimum, and reconnect the O2 sensors and be good to go?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Rich, I think you are Right on that.. Just wondered if the 0 settings are 0..

Probably yes with No light com'n on the pot.

Thanks
signed....BUBBIE

Have to try it sometime.

Back