free website stats program Spring Maintenance tips..... | Harley Davidson Forums

Spring Maintenance tips.....

theklanchXL1200N

Hi everybody, just wanted to remind everyone that spring will be here soon and we all want to make sure our bikes are up and running so I thought I would make a checklist of things that all of us Harley owners can do to pass the time till the snow melts.

These are a few things that we all should go over and before riding season is the best time to do this.

Make sure your muffler bearings are good and tight. I lost like 15 muffler bearings last year cause I didn't check them.

Turn signal fluid, as I'm sure that you haven't checked your turn signal fluid since your bike was new. If you have ever run out of turn signal fluid before on the side of the road you will understand this one. It is impossible to find at a parts store, I think it is a dealer only item. (DO NOT TRY TO USE CHEVROLET TURN SIGNAL FLUID IN YOUR HARLEY, IT WON'T WORK)

Air conditioning is tricky on the new harleys, have the dealer go over the Air conditioner while it is there too. Oh, don't forget the windshield wipers.

It never hurts to drain all your oil and start the bike and bang it off the rev limiter a couple of times to make sure it's working ok. You will know if everything is ok if the motor starts to glow a bright orange, followed by a loud bang. After said bang, top the oil off and you should be good to go

Last but not least, make sure that you go to the dealership and have them check your anti-freeze. This one is obvious, A Harley will not run properly if the coolant isn't genuine Harley. Also, your warranty will be void if the dealer doesn't check the coolant on that new Dyna Wide Glide, so don't try to do it yourself.

You V-rod guys, the hot ticket with that revolution motor is to switch out the coolant for 108 octane race fuel, you wanna talk about a HOT setup...

Anybody else out there with too much time on their hands? Hate to give Honda credit, but, "I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride"

THE:rider:pENNSYLVANIA

There is a thread on how to change those muffler bearings...right?

Glider, could you please put up a muffler bearing maintenance thread?

The dealer told me it'll void your warranty if you tighten your own muffler bearings, but replacements are cheap, only $100! Plus setup and delivery tax and finance charges not to mention a 6 week wait time as those pesky muffler bearings won't stay tight

THE:rider:pENNSYLVANIA

I kept thinking the winsheild washer fluid I was useing was the wrong kind . It wouldn't clean my windsheild . Then I realized I didn't have a windsheild.........that stuff tastes awfull :26:

I think it's in there already... under the header of "what have you been smoking?". If I can find it... I'll link it later on.

HA DK! It isn't what I've been smoking, it's what I haven't been smoking.

Don't forget to stop by the dealer for that coolant check, just looking out for you buddy.

Dont know if anyone else has ran into this ...... but the spring in my Homogenator stuck and it caused the Tooter valve to go out and now my horn dont work and it blew the fuse to my hazards. 278 bucks to replace my Homogenator and tooter Valve and the horn is on backorder.

I'm with ya there...aint nothin worse than an unhomoginized tooter to get your day off to a bad start. :34:

Glider, could you please put up a muffler bearing maintenance thread?

The muffler bearings require specialized grease that has been discontinued. When they come out with the new grease, I'll be sure to post it.:D

One thing you all overlooked and that is to have your forks tuned, very important!

The muffler bearings require specialized grease that has been discontinued. When they come out with the new grease, I'll be sure to post it.:D

One thing you all overlooked and that is to have your forks tuned, very important!

Geez Glider, I forgot about the forks thanks for reminding me.

And I just checked I was using the wrong grease on those pesky muffler bearings, I was using Phallusator rod oil instead of muffler bearing grease, guess there goes my warranty

Glider, what key the forks be tuned to. And is the tunnit knob anywhere near the Canuttin valve?

Back