free website stats program Sportster manly? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster manly?

so if I have an ultra classic and you have a wide glide, yours would be a budget ride. Calling my bike that because it did not cost as much as yours or is as big and fancy as yours is an insult. I prefer a sport bike and think the sportster is exactly what I want. Sure those big bikes are nice and I'm sure you love to ride them but I have no desire to own one.

By the way, my other bike is a suzuki 500 gs. And I love riding that bike too. And it was cheaper than my sportster!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back into biking in 05 when the last kid moved out. The wife gave me the OK after 25 years without a bike.
I ran to the dealer and bought an 05 1200 Custom Sporty.
I met a bunch of guys who mostly had Gold Wings or Electra Glides and we rode all over the place in the next few years. I changed the seat to the Sundowner, Big Sucker intake, rejetted the carb and heavier fork oil. Man that Sporty went everywhere and I loved riding it. Some guys in the States would see it and say "you came all the way from Canada on a Sportster?"
I'm glad I bought it as a re entry bike because it was light enough I gained my riding skills again but fast enough I could keep up with the others. Yes it runs rougher than the Big Twins but what a great feeling on it and easy to handle.
I put 45000 kms on her in 3 years. Several times someone would say it's a girls bike, or half a Harley. I would say it's all Harley and any bike could be a girls bike and remind them I saw a girl on their particular model.
In 08 I stepped up to an Electra Glide because my wife now travels with me some times and I needed the storage space and wanted the bigger bike, which I will keep this model for the rest of my riding days.
I am so glad I got the Sporty first, improved my riding skills, and now have the confidence on the big dog.
I still miss riding the Sportster sometimes. I wanted to keep it and chop it, but insurance up here in Canada won't give us a break and I couldn't afford two.
At one point the Sportster line kept HD Company alive when times were tough, it's the icon of motorcycles.
I'll never dis the Sportster line.

so if I have an ultra classic and you have a wide glide, yours would be a budget ride. Calling my bike that because it did not cost as much as yours or is as big and fancy as yours is an insult. I prefer a sport bike and think the sportster is exactly what I want. Sure those big bikes are nice and I'm sure you love to ride them but I have no desire to own one.

There was no intent to insult anyone in my post above, I was just mentioning the purchase price of a sportster in comparison to the big twins is much lower. It is considered an entry level Harley because of the price whether you agree or disagree.
In time your views may change too.

chopped a '96 1200 for the bar hoppin .. easier to us pick up when we fall over.. in the parking lot of course.. the ultra's too heavy..

I admit I used think they were chick bikes. The summer of 2009 I talked my girl into gettingone. So we got a nighster. As soon as we got home I took off on it. It blew me away, the power and the way it handled. I had a blast... So then I started reading the history of the Sportster and that blew me away.. So needless to say I ride it more often than my street glide. I also saw a few sportsters on you tube that were modified and look bad as (EDIT) !!! So I have now taken over the bike and started fixing it up. I havent even added one thing to my street glide. In the process of putting a 180 rear tire on. Very lil modification to do. If ya have a chance type in nightster fat bobber on you tube. Some of these bikes are awsome and my inspire you to do the same to yours.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

I admit I used think they were chick bikes. The summer of 2009 I talked my girl into gettingone. So we got a nighster. As soon as we got home I took off on it. It blew me away, the power and the way it handled. I had a blast... So then I started reading the history of the Sportster and that blew me away.. So needless to say I ride it more often than my street glide. I also saw a few sportsters on you tube that were modified and look bad as (EDIT) !!! So I have now taken over the bike and started fixing it up. I havent even added one thing to my street glide. In the process of putting a 180 rear tire on. Very lil modification to do. If ya have a chance type in nightster fat bobber on you tube. Some of these bikes are awsome and my inspire you to do the same to yours.

so does this mean your buying her another bike?:newsmile026:

Love this thread, doesn't matter which HD forum you are on, there is always the "Is a Sportster a girlie bike?" thread.

If you rode a Sportster long distance you wouldn't ever call it a girlie bike. I love it because it is a work out. I love the old school vibrations, the top heaviness that helps it lean in the twisties, just her attitude. She is a bad baby. I love that she will cruise at 110mph and still say I have more left. She starts to fly somewhere around 90 and just smooths out so nicely.

I hopefully will acquire more bikes in the future but I pray I can keep this one too.

I have a '02 sportster with paint like the 70's flat tracker orange, higher rear shocks, souped up 1200 conversion kit. all ive ever gotten was compliments, though I had a guy tell me I should change the 883 on the tank to 1200.

Harley came out with the sportster in '57 I believe. Back then if you wanted a mid-large sized bike that handled you had to buy a British twin.
A sportster, IMO is a Harley that almost handles :) I just inherited my Sons' '13 1200 that has pipes, intake, cam and power vision tuner, all professionally done. IT RUNS! I love my Dyna, but also enjoy the "hot rod" I had a 500 single that I rode for 6 years in my twenties. I love riding, period.

I think people hear things and just repeat them, sure as heck nothing girlie about a quick, good-looking vibrationous motorcycle

Didn't Sonny Barger used to ride a sporty? lol

Steve

Back