free website stats program Split vision mirror FEEDBACK ? as a passenger | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Split vision mirror FEEDBACK ? as a passenger

You could go to a bicycle shop and get a clip-on helmet mirror to put on you wife's helmet if she wears one. or get a couple and mount on the sides of you helmet so she can see them.

My wife would like me to add these to my 09 Ultra Classic with hopes as a passenger she can see the cagers sneaking up on her. Does this mirror allow the passenger some view of approaching traffic from the rear?
Dave

Dave, the mirrors will likely not create the the view your wife is seeking. I have the dual mirrors and they are not all that useful. The small mirrors are convex and project sort of a fish eye view, meaning they squeeze a wide view into a small space so that approaching cars are tiny.

They are also aimed "inside" of the larger mirrors so they show things directly behind you. I've always wished they were "outside" of the large mirrors so that they would show cars in your blind spots and not right behind you.

My 2 cents worth .... Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel bad that this is affecting your wife's riding enjoyment...BUT...the mirrors are there for the operator of the bike and are much too important of a safety item to be tinkering with for your passenger's convenience.

I would mainly be looking at options to move her up and/or back to improve her view.

I can't respond to the wife thing (life is too precious to get into such arguments), but as far as mirrors go, I've always had success with a pair of flat glass mirrors with little 2 dollar stick-on convex mirrors from Pep Boys. You just peel and stick, and you locate them wherever they work best for you.

I think you need to seek the higher tech of todays times, I have experemented a little , with the use of aftermarket backup cams they sell for suvs and cars on my Vrod with some good results ,they are not that expensive under 100 bucks,the camara is small and easy to mount ,but it is the placement of the screen that have caused me some issues with sun glare ,but on a touring bike there is more realestate to find a good mounting position.so you might want to look in to going that rought, the views are good clear and wide,

Davepa, though the spots on the side are pretty large, I would think the passenger would have a "tough" time seeing them from that far back... 'course HDDon is right, our wives and girlfriends have better eyes and ears then we are led to believe.:s

I also agree with the eyes in the back of the head!!!! But that aside buy her a pair those small mirrors that the cycle riders wear an attach them to her helment,cheapper than the split mirrors.:eam

Best advice I have seen here is the bike mirrors for the helmet, and to add to NEWHD post when it comes to our better half NO good deed goes unpunished what they see and hear can back fire on us right quick:s

Why not get the wife her own bike?

Although that might sound good, it means that until she is really experienced, she really can't enjoy the scenery because she is too busy watching everyone who is trying to run over into/over/thru her bike!

Yep, I love riding my own bike, but there is nothing like being able to ride behind the hubby and being totally free to look around. I also sit behind and below him on his SG, but find that just looking side to side is plenty good enough for me.

I think I will look into moving the tour pack back and see if that improves the vision for the better half....Thanks all!

Back