free website stats program speedo light staying on? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

speedo light staying on?

Janine if you don't have a manual, now is the time to get one. Some of our sporster owners will be able to help you and if you have a manual with schematics you will be able to follow what they think may be a solution to your problem. If you haven't done so yet you need to open the switch housings and do a thorough inspection, looking for pinched or frayed wires. The problem may also be at the speedo with frayed or pinched wires. The manual will help you access the areas you need to get into. Also if you have a multimeter you will be able to test for current draw. Don't get discouraged there are some very knowledgeable and helpful members and moderators here.

Welcome to The Forum, Do you know if this is a stock Speedo unit? I have seen this with aftermarket speedos not wired correctly

I think that they are original.I just bought it about 3 weeks ago and have only been out on it a couple of times then this happened.It's on 07 - 883 with 11000kms

I have seen the H D combo speedo tach do this

We have to assume the bike has factory stock wiring and no mods have been made (extra lights, hot wire tapping for a mod etc). The battery must then be disconnected from the bikes wiring and charged. We have to have a known good battery.

2 possible ways the speedo/tach lights could be coming ON. (both above conditions must be met) One is if the ignition switch was bad. The other is a back-feed though either the "Battery" fuse or the "ECM" fuse".

Now re-attach the charged/good battery and see if the speedo/tach light comes ON. Hopefully they do. If they do come ON, remove the "Battery" Fuse OR the "ECM" OR both. Does the light go OUT?. If NO, the ignition switch is bad. IF YES, voltage is being back fed by the Battery or ECM fuse which is not hard to find once you know that's where it is coming from.

My money is on the ignition switch being bad. That would explain it all. Yes, it could be a "back feeding" problem but I see that being remote or with a bike that has had some mods done to it. (example=>lights,, extra relay, non factory alarm,,etc)

Hoople I don't want to make your head swell up but if you can make me understand how to go about troubleshooting electrics you are the "MAN". Stright clear cut directions.

:)Found my battery is now toast, new one on the way.In the process found corrided relay switch.hopfully this is the fix(fingers crossed) .I'll let you know .Thanks for the help everyone .

Bought new battery and relay started great but speedo light is still staying on .Checked for code and got d1a9? Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds as if the contacts in your ignition switch are not disconnecting when you turn it off. Possibly a bad switch.

If your not keeping the bike on a battery tender I would disconnect the battery. I don't know how to troubleshoot the switch hopefully someone will give you that info.

Back