free website stats program speedo light staying on? | Harley Davidson Forums

speedo light staying on?

Janine

I have an 07 883 that i just got 3 weeks ago.i went out the other morning and the speedo light and odemeter lights were all on .The ignition was in the off position? I went to move the bike and when i touched the front brake the lights all went out? Now the battery is dead and won't start.I tried to charge it but it does'nt seem to hold enough to start it up.can some one help please I'm so confused!!!!:(

Sounds like you have a short pulling the battery down and quite possibly it has ruined the battery beyond use. Have the battery load tested and replace if necessary and then check for any diagnostic codes.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-2362.html

The fact that the lights went out when you touched the front brake should be your first place to start looking for pinched or rubbed wires.

Would it be in the switches themselves if they got wet?Does it make a difference if there black or chrome?

Would it be in the switches themselves if they got wet?Does it make a difference if there black or chrome?

If it is a pinched or rubbed wire the problem could be in the switches or anywhere in the wiring itself. If the switch housings got wet enough I suppose it could have caused corrosion to become an issue.

I am guessing here but I believe glider asked if the switch housings were black or chrome to determine if someone had changed out the original black ones with chrome ones indicating the possibility that could be when your issue started.

Water could cause an issue but like TripleJ mentioned and if they were black, they were probably original and possibly never opened up. If they were chrome, the chrome doesn't come as a stock piece and that means that somebody changed them and that's where the problem could be.

Now I'm so confused too! :D

More info about the bike will get a better reply.

Welcome to The Forum, Do you know if this is a stock Speedo unit? I have seen this with aftermarket speedos not wired correctly

I think that they are original.I just bought it about 3 weeks ago and have only been out on it a couple of times then this happened.It's on 07 - 883 with 11000kms

Back