free website stats program Spark plugs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plugs

No it won't. Our bikes detect engine knock through the secondary sub-system of the Delphi coil. These bikes don't use Piezoelectric sensors.

You can beat it with a pork chop all day and I don't think the timing is going to kick back.:p

Pork Chops Meat Balls, you guys got to stop Im hungry againLOL:D

LOL, probably :s Champion has been very user friendly in the past, have been to several clinics they sponsored, great guys

I would have called up the PowerTrain division of Delphi myself, but they are in Germany. My cell phone package does not cover there.

No it won't.

You can beat it with a pork chop all day and I don't think the timing is going to kick back.:p

My pork is tender enough already no Beating required.. I was planning to use a hammer!

signed....BUBBIE

Ion sensing system detects the engine missfire in either front or rear cylinder,by monitoring the electrical energy at the spark plugs only the ion system follows every timed spark,if a abnormal level of energy is detected across 2 or 3 spark firings the ecm responds by retarding spark timing in the problem cylinder as needed to eliminate the missfire, I say run the plugs and you will know if they are not compatable when you wot and you here the ping (rattle) its a sound all its own, you will know. Its sounds like someone put about 10 to 15 BBs in your cylinder or cylinders.But back off the throttle asap then go home and put the stock plugs back in.

I say run the plugs and you will know if they are not compatable when you wot and you here the ping (rattle) its a sound all its own, you will know. Its sounds like someone put about 10 to 15 BBs in your cylinder or cylinders.But back off the throttle asap then go home and put the stock plugs back in.

Well the opposite can also happen. Say with a non-resistor plug you may reach the threshold for knock retard when in fact the by-products of combustion are OK. Therefore you will just loose some power without any tell tail sign.
That may also be a possibility. I tried to contact Delphi with some questions but they were of no help.

the other thing I like to add is that the HD Dephi system is not a accoustic type knock detecting system as was described in a earlier post , witch is a more advanced system you see in cages , it is done by putting accoustic sensors in head or between the cylinder and head ,The Hd system is a spark sensing system ,Hd is not bying the new tech stuff from delphi but upgrading what the have. and If I remember the Hd delphi was adapted from the delphi marine division not the cage division

No I was just agreeing with your post when you corrected in the post relating to( what we have to work with), just reitrating what you said in trying to simplfy that there are 2 types of knock detecting systems and the fact that we have the antiquated version.but it does work for its intended purpose. and also wanted to give you a heads up on delphi hd as it was based on marine division dephi not cage division , So you might find your answers with the marine delphi division

Last edited:
No I was just agreeing with your post when you corrected in the post relating to( what we have to work with), just reitrating what you said in trying to simplfy that there are 2 types of knock detecting systems and the fact that we have the antiquated version.but it does work for its intended purpose. and also wanted to give you a heads up on delphi hd as it was based on marine division dephi not cage division , So you might find your answers with the marine delphi division

I understand now. Tks

Just playing around with the system, I installed some (fixed) NGK 5K ohm resistor plugs and disabled the Ion software along with re-mapping both spark advance curves. The results are not conclusive but the bike does seem to run better. It seems to pull stronger and harder through out the gears. Mileage on my cage is important to me but not on the bike. As long as it is 30 or more, I am Happy because I am sure it has fallen with these mods.

One thing I do know for a fact. With my factory stock bike, I did log Ion sensor knock retard activity while using 93 octane fuel. If you look at the HD stage 1 advance curves, they are WAY over the top for any engine to digest.

I going to do some timed roll on pulls to see if there is a measurable difference.

Back