free website stats program So what living thang or thangs have you ran into-- and at what mph? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

So what living thang or thangs have you ran into-- and at what mph?

New to the forum, but been on the side a year or so. Thought I'd chime in on this topic. Have had numerous wasp, dragon fly, gravel strikes and near misses with various 4-legged critters. Lotsa deer here in MS that love to jump across the road ,gotta keep a sharp lookout around dusk and dawn. They can end your ride permanently. On another site a while back a question was asked about the size of various animals and which to run through and which to swerve around. A long time rider answered that if you could eat it in a single sitting run through it, anything bigger make sure you miss it.

About the only thing I've hit is a chipmunk... I was doing 40-50 mph - didn't feel a thing, and that was on a Honda CB650C.

A dog about the size of a Border Collie. Was chasing my cycle on the other side of a tall hedge. Turned left at the end of hedges and Ran perpendicular to the cycle. Engine crash bars caught dog at about the ear. Dog spun around and pooped on my pipes (750 Honda) as he went limp. He was dazed and roused back. The K-9 recovered but never chased me again. Dog poop on hot chrome pipes not good.

A dog about the size of a Border Collie. Was chasing my cycle on the other side of a tall hedge. Turned left at the end of hedges and Ran perpendicular to the cycle. Engine crash bars caught dog at about the ear. Dog spun around and pooped on my pipes (750 Honda) as he went limp. He was dazed and roused back. The K-9 recovered but never chased me again. Dog poop on hot chrome pipes not good.

I was travelling about about 20MPH

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing living I crashed into but if you consider a trailer coming off the back of a car a living thing then I would suggest that was serious, nowhere to go at 60mph, broke my leg, hand colarbone and my triumph was toast....18 months later on my new harley and loving it....:lero

Bringing my new Ultra home from the dealers, I center-punched a ground hog about 2 miles from the dealership. Almost got another one three or four miles farther down the road. When my friend and I stopped a little later for a break, he kept walking around my bike and looking at it. When I asked what he was doing he replied he was looking for the magnet. I asked "what magnet?" He said "the one that keeps finding those groundhogs!"

I ran over a snake last summer. I was going about 45mph on our back country road when all of sudden I realized my front tire was right on top of the thing. I was scared to death that it was going to somehow get flung up on to me. I literally screamed for a good 1/2 mile down the road - screamed bloody murder.

I ran over a snake last summer. I was going about 45mph on our back country road when all of sudden I realized my front tire was right on top of the thing. I was scared to death that it was going to somehow get flung up on to me. I literally screamed for a good 1/2 mile down the road - screamed bloody murder.

Thats Toooooooooooo Funny!...somehow i could picture that!:D

Is there any ultrasonic device that wissel (wind going through the device) to scare the animal away?

I'd save my money. Several studies have shown that while a sound device may let deer know something is coming, they are still as likely to run toward it as away. If the sound of your bike isn't enough to do the job nothing else will be either. Your best defense in deer country is to slow down and watch for those "blinking reflectors" on the roadside.

John

Back