free website stats program Snapped clutch cable on new bike at 1,100K!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Snapped clutch cable on new bike at 1,100K!!

i may be wrong here but if the cable adjustment nut came loose it may feel like a snapped cable... have you checked the adjustment nut?
Cableadjustment.jpg

Yeah man- first thing I checked. Thanks though!

I thought about power-shifting to get her home, but wouldn't that put some SERIOUS stress on the tranny? Seems like it could beat it up pretty bad? Just wondering...

So the Dealer called today- my clutch cable is fine.

In my original post, you'll note that I stated that I JUST had it's 1K Service done last week. This was done at the Dealership close to my house.... NOT the one that has it now (where I originally bought it).

Anyhow- the Dealer that fixed it is the Dealership where I bought it- whom I have a great relationship with.

The ONLY reason I had it serviced at the other one is purely convenience; it's 5 mins from my house.

The problem was that my clutch itself was incorrectly adjusted during the 1K Service (which I had a hunch about all along). Unbelievable.

Luckily it won't cost me much out of pocket, but I asked them to detail their findings so that I can take that to the local shop that screwed it up, and get EVERY CENT back!! Part of me thinks that I should ask for something additional for my troubles, and for being stranded for 3+ hours and without my beloved ride for the beautiful Labor Day Weekend!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I hope no damage was done while riding with a clutch plate that was slipping, or damage from having to shift with no clutch. ???

Just an update... <I'm obviously pretty angry!!>

<I know- more reason to do this stuff myself- which I normally would have done- but I had them doing some other stuff too that I wasn't capable of. You'd think an HD Service Shop would be proud of doing good work... Now I know the answer. Sheesh>

Exactly.

Bud- Could I have damaged anything by riding with it that way for ~500 miles or so?

Sorry didnt see it to respond last night

no it would have been little harder on trans if clutch wasnt fully disengaging .. which is wasnt but you wouldnt have burned the clutch up since it would not release .. would have been no different had ya power shifted it .. did you notice it was super hard to shift or did you have to jam it ?

did you notice it was super hard to shift or did you have to jam it ?

Thanks Bud! No, it was not hard to shift at all- it happened SUPER-fast. As I was downshifting, approaching a stoplight, all of a sudden the lever didn't pop back to the normal position. I had to jam it to downshift, trying to get to neutral. I then shut off the engine- and the bike stopped abruptly- but I was going pretty slow at that point. Hopefully that didn't hurt anything???

Likely you did not do any damage because both the Clutch and Tranny are pretty durable pieces, harder on the transmission if you have to cut throttle unweighting the gears and stab the shift lever into next gear. I always wondered why there was no notch or locking collar to adjust clutch nut on the end incrementally, when I first took off the primary collar and saw the setup on my Sporty.

Back