free website stats program Snapped clutch cable on new bike at 1,100K!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Snapped clutch cable on new bike at 1,100K!!

martysnarf

So I dropped by my Dealer today on my 2.5 month-old SG to pick up some goodies. Bike has 1,100K on it, and had it's 1K Service last week. So I am coming to a light, grab the clutch lever to downshift- and my clutch cable SNAPPED!! :bigsmiley15:

I checked it at the lever, and I could see it still attached, so it must've snapped somewhere in the middle, or down in the tranny case where I couldn't get to it. Luckily, since it's brand-new it's covered <I hope- it should be>, and I have Roadside Assistance with my complimentary year of HOG Membership that came with a new purchase.

I know a clutch cable can break, but isn't this highly unusual? Could the other Dealership that did the 1K Service last week missed something important that could cause this? I could tell that they adjusted the clutch; it was tighter when I picked it up. Throughout the ride today I felt it loosening up. Any idea what could've happened- other than just a bad cable that snapped?? Seems unlikely...

Thanks!!

Yes, it is highly unusual, make sure to get the old one out and carefully inspected, could have been something pinched the cable, a dented sheath can be a sharp object that can nick and eventually damage the cable...could also be the leaded end broke off or lack of lubrication at a key point.

Rather odd on a new bike but the loosening up was a tell tale sign of the cable fraying before it snapped completely.

When i had my 1975 triumph it was prudent to have a spare clutch cable taped to the clutch cable for a quick and easy change
Although old habits die hard i always carry a spare when on longer trips on the harleys but have never needed them and I'm pretty sure the 92 softail is still on the original cable so they are very robust cables

Brian

I wouldnt worry to much unless it breaks again probley just a fluke

Thanks Bud- that makes me feel a little better.

Not to mention the fact that it's a Holiday weekend- we are having the BEST weather here we've had in YEARS (70's - low 80's, sunny, breeze....), PERFECT riding weather!! And I have NO BIKE until at LEAST Tuesday. Story of my life LOL!!! :newsmile100:

Last edited by a moderator:
should have power shifted .. take it back for clutch and trans after holiday weekend

i may be wrong here but if the cable adjustment nut came loose it may feel like a snapped cable... have you checked the adjustment nut?
Cableadjustment.jpg

Back