free website stats program Slip-ons versus Full pipes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip-ons versus Full pipes

I have a 2009 Fat Bob. Purchased Rush 2.0 slip ons. They were highly loud. Perhaps it was just the contrast with the sound/volume of the stock pipes, but it almost embarrassing riding around like that. The Rushes have removable/replaceable baffles. Purchased the 1.50 baffles, did the swap, and got the desired effect -- good sound, loud but not too obnoxious, and obvious performance boost (when coupled with stage 1 air and download). If you listen to different pipes on Youtube (there are dozens of clips), you get a good sense of tone, but no accurate sense of volume.

I like the Khrome Werks HP Plus slip ons.They are not really loud but really deep sound.I had the taper style to look like stock pipes(on a wide glide and softail custom)Got them for about $260 and along with an high flow a/c and TFI it was like riding a new bike.

Dave

2010 FatBoy, Put V&H 3" slash cut slip-ons. Waaay too loud! Made my own baffles,
sounds like my old 76 Sporty now. I went with the NightRider 14.0 resisters.
Spark plugs look great and pipes are turning nice medium gray inside.
Pulling 45 to 48 MPG with these changes, also more bottom and midrange torque by (Edit) dyno.
wilks3,

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to get the SERT and a AC.

Would you know which pipes are louder? Rush 2.0 or Khrome Werks? Did not want them to loud. Just deeper and a little louder than stock.

I have the Khrome Werks 3" slip-ons on my 07 Streetbob with a Ness stage 1 Big Sucker a/c and the SE Super Tuner. We installed the 2.5" Khrome Werks slip-ons on my son's 05 883 Sporty with a Ness stage 1 Big Sucker and a Dynojet jet kit. I can't say enough good things about these mufflers. Nice deep rumble at idle. Quiet enough not to upset your neighbors if you take it easy but folks will know you're there when you jump on it. The 2.5" ers make the 883 sound like a big twin.

OK.
So I went to the dealer yesterday and the sales guy opinion was that full exhaust will provide much more power than just slip-ons. Of course, the full exhaust is a bigger sale for him. He could not quantify the gain and give me a number like 3 more HP or 4 more .lbs of torque. Just, he knows its more...I think I will stick to the opinions of the owners here at the forums and save a little screacth $$$, get the slip-ons and keep the look I like.

OK.
So I went to the dealer yesterday and the sales guy opinion was that full exhaust will provide much more power than just slip-ons. Of course, the full exhaust is a bigger sale for him. He could not quantify the gain and give me a number like 3 more HP or 4 more .lbs of torque. Just, he knows its more...I think I will stick to the opinions of the owners here at the forums and save a little screacth $$$, get the slip-ons and keep the look I like.

Good choice IMO the full system would eliminate the cross over IMO needed for better scavenging:s

OK.

The stock head pipes are hard to beat unless you have the cats in them on the later bikes. Stick with the slip ons and the very small increase you may see with after market head pipes would be nil.

More confusion... I am going to buy the Slip-Ons. Probally Khrome Werks. I was planning on getting an air cleaner, big sucker or along those lines. For the tuner, I was planning on getting the HARLEY-DAVIDSON SCREAMIN' EAGLE SUPER TUNER 32109-08B. I wanted that tuner so if I want to change cams, heads whatever down the line, I would have it. The dealer just told me that cannot be used for just Slip-ons. That tuner requires a complete exhaust change??
He suggested I just get the map from HD for $135.00 when I put on my slip-ons and AC. Does that sound right?

More confusion... I am going to buy the Slip-Ons. Probally Khrome Werks. I was planning on getting an air cleaner, big sucker or along those lines. For the tuner, I was planning on getting the HARLEY-DAVIDSON SCREAMIN' EAGLE SUPER TUNER 32109-08B. I wanted that tuner so if I want to change cams, heads whatever down the line, I would have it. The dealer just told me that cannot be used for just Slip-ons. That tuner requires a complete exhaust change??
He suggested I just get the map from HD for $135.00 when I put on my slip-ons and AC. Does that sound right?

That dealer is dead wrong. They have maps specificly in the program for use with slip-ons.
If you're performing a self installation on the SEST you will have to buy the software package and the cable kit. Mine, total with shipping and a 20% off list discount was $439 for the works. Once you load it on your computer it will prompt you to go online and download the latest maps from Harley. Then you pick the map that best suits the components that you're using on your bike and use that to flash the ECM. Then, you can use the Smart Tune feature to modify your selected map. You do this by plugging the VCI box into the data link on your bike and then strapping it down somewhere out of the way. Then you use it to record real time road info and then download that to your computer and the program will instruct you on what to modify. You can take it to a Dyno tuner and have a professional job done....but good tuners are hard to find.

Also, keep in mind that the VCI box mates to your ECM so you can only use it for one bike. The TTS has a model that's good for two bikes......but it costs more. If someone is trying to sell you one of these units used.........it won't work on your bike.......it only works on the bike it was originally mated to. Don't want to see anyone get cheated.

And I have the Khrome Werks slip ons and the Ness stage 1 Big Sucker and the SEST and my 07 Streetbob RUNS!

That dealer is dead wrong. They have maps specificly in the program for use with slip-ons.
If you're performing a self installation on the SEST you will have to buy the software package and the cable kit. Mine, total with shipping and a 20% off list discount was $439 for the works. Once you load it on your computer it will prompt you to go online and download the latest maps from Harley. Then you pick the map that best suits the components that you're using on your bike and use that to flash the ECM. Then, you can use the Smart Tune feature to modify your selected map. You do this by plugging the VCI box into the data link on your bike and then strapping it down somewhere out of the way. Then you use it to record real time road info and then download that to your computer and the program will instruct you on what to modify. You can take it to a Dyno tuner and have a professional job done....but good tuners are hard to find.

Also, keep in mind that the VCI box mates to your ECM so you can only use it for one bike. The TTS has a model that's good for two bikes......but it costs more. If someone is trying to sell you one of these units used.........it won't work on your bike.......it only works on the bike it was originally mated to. Don't want to see anyone get cheated.

And I have the Khrome Werks slip ons and the Ness stage 1 Big Sucker and the SEST and my 07 Streetbob RUNS!

I have cycle shack turn outs full system with no other mods or downloads done by The Stealer when my bike got wrecked last year and it is fine:s

Back