free website stats program Six speed transmissions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Six speed transmissions

Jack I may be in left field with this belt tension thing but I will tell you this. I have been around belts, pulleys, sprockets, and chains all my life. I have never seen a belt of any type as tight as the one on my bike. Even V belts don't run as tight as this cogged belt. I don't really know if it's right or wrong but just looking at it,,, it just does not SEEM right. I just see no practical purpose for that belt to be that tight.

If I had a dyno with load capability, I would use hi-speed photography to capture what the belt is doing under peak torque demands. But I just can't see wearing out my rear pulley or transmission bearings with a belt that is Banjo tight.

If I eat a belt in a year from now, I will admit I was wrong.

These belts can take a lot, but too tight is not one of them, and all the bearings will say thank u I agree:s

The belt tension being a bit on the tight side makes sence to me and just a wee bit more that as the pulleys warm up and expand then the belt will become tighter

Brian

The belt tension being a bit on the tight side makes sence to me
Brian

Brain, OK but why does it make sense? On a Dyna the rear fork is pivoted off the transmission so your not pulling the fork forward or pulling the engine back during hard acceleration. In order to jump cogs, the belt would have to have two inches of play.

I am not saying I am right, by no means. Just saying I really don't understand why the tension needs to be that tight. I must be missing some key component of the theory and operation of belt drive. Those belts don't stretch as far as I can tell.

But I am VERY willing to be a Beta tester for relaxed belt tension.:p

Sorry Hoople i must have worded that wrong it makes sence to me that a tight belt would put a lot of strain on the main drive bearing and the bearings on the mainshaft
and why is the tension set with a rider seated on the bike
my dyna belt correctly set seems very tight to me and i spent the money on the correct tool just to be sure
i think it is to tight starts to squeel after about 50 miles of riding when the pulleys get hot
i have never touched the belt on my softail but it feels very loose in comparison to the dyna and i have done abot 10000 miles on it
i have been thinking about loosening up the dyna belt a wee bit to see what happens with it (wifes bike) and as we are stating towards winter now i dont think itll move far before spring so perhaps for next year

Brian

Sorry Hoople i must have worded that wrong it makes sence to me that a tight belt would put a lot of strain on the main drive bearing and the bearings on the mainshaft
and why is the tension set with a rider seated on the bike
my dyna belt correctly set seems very tight to me and i spent the money on the correct tool just to be sure
i think it is to tight starts to squeel after about 50 miles of riding when the pulleys get hot
i have never touched the belt on my softail but it feels very loose in comparison to the dyna and i have done abot 10000 miles on it
i have been thinking about loosening up the dyna belt a wee bit to see what happens with it (wifes bike) and as we are stating towards winter now i dont think itll move far before spring so perhaps for next year

Brian

That makes all the sense in the world Fin, that would destroy the tranny and maybe take out the clutch Too:s

Hey Jack, can you believe Brian is already talking about the upcoming WINTER.!

We are in the peak of heat over here. Right Jack?:p

What is this winter thing of which u speak LOL, Yeah I used to hate the winter lay ups, My co workers hated me too for it LOL:D

I was camping at the weekend at the thunder in the glens rally it was cold and wet and miserable waterproofs got a good testing temps are dropping to near freezing at nights
ill be riding for a while yet but wife isnt so keen

Brian

I was camping at the weekend at the thunder in the glens rally it was cold and wet and miserable waterproofs got a good testing temps are dropping to near freezing at nights
ill be riding for a while yet but wife isnt so keen

Brian

That doesnt sound good, looks like winter isnt far off

Back