free website stats program Six speed transmissions | Harley Davidson Forums

Six speed transmissions

BOWHIKER

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE AND NOT TO BELIEVE . AFTER READING AND LISTENING TO OTHER FORUM MEMBERS I PUT SPECTRO HD PLATINUM 75/140 IN MY TRANNY AT 1700 MILES , SO FAR I'VE BEEN HAPPY WITH IT . NOW harleyflhrs posts about the 6 speeds having problems and says to run dyno oil in the tranny , I'm guessing that if you have a problem with your tranny and they see you weren't running the HD formula transmission oil they wouldn't warranty it . I guess I'm confused as what to use , my thoughts are the spectro is superior oil and shouldn't have to worry about it , but this fall when I change the fluids do I go back to the HD oil or stick with the Spectro .

My local HD dealership has Spectro 6 Speed on their shelf so I would guess it is OK to use since they are selling it.

We really need to know (at least) what fluid was used in the Transmissions that failed. Data must be collected before any conclusions can be made.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE AND NOT TO BELIEVE . AFTER READING AND LISTENING TO OTHER FORUM MEMBERS I PUT SPECTRO HD PLATINUM 75/140 IN MY TRANNY AT 1700 MILES , SO FAR I'VE BEEN HAPPY WITH IT . NOW harleyflhrs posts about the 6 speeds having problems and says to run dyno oil in the tranny , I'm guessing that if you have a problem with your tranny and they see you weren't running the HD formula transmission oil they wouldn't warranty it . I guess I'm confused as what to use , my thoughts are the spectro is superior oil and shouldn't have to worry about it , but this fall when I change the fluids do I go back to the HD oil or stick with the Spectro .

That would Have to be YOUR decision!

The spectro and redline products surpass the REQUIRED specks that HD calls out for.(.)

They (using) will Not affect the warranty of the bike.... Now if you used ???? crisco or peanut oil...

I am of the wait-n-see crowd... I tend to do My Own repair even under warranty unless BIG...

That report was Good, but for me, hearing of Many Here without troubles on the 6 speed, and Having Many Miles on them, I would just Ride it for Now and Worry later... I would Not change out the oil...

I do keep my clutch and cable adjusted for MAXIUM separation of the clutch plates and I do Pull the clutch handle in and wait a few+ moments to allow for slowing or Stopping of the Movement that Clunks before I shift into gear.

Using Redline Oil and Redline Shockproof Heavy in place of Syn 3 or formal + is a BONUS for me.

Stay Tuned ,,, LISTEN,,, We have time.... Ride it and Check in here to see IF anything Materializes from the many 6 speeds here on HDT.com

If there is a 6 speed problem, I DOUBT Changing MY Brand of Oil has Anything to do with SAVING it! I'll stick with the BEST! As it works good..

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, When someone refers to the "Mainshaft Bearing",, is that the bearing that supports the drive hub for the Belt?

I would keep using the Spectro, it's better oil and you said you were happy with it. Harley isn't sure what to use either, first they say synthetics aren't good, then they say to use Syn3 and now they say you shouldn't use Syn3 in trannys. How can they void your warranty when they don't know what to use.

My local HD dealership has Spectro 6 Speed on their shelf so I would guess it is OK to use since they are selling it.

We really need to know (at least) what fluid was used in the Transmissions that failed. Data must be collected before any conclusions can be made.

That would Have to be YOUR decision!

The spectro and redline products surpass the REQUIRED specks that HD calls out for.(.)

They (using) will Not affect the warranty of the bike.... Now if you used ???? crisco or peanut oil...

I am of the wait-n-see crowd... I tend to do My Own repair even under warranty unless BIG...

That report was Good, but for me, hearing of Many Here without troubles on the 6 speed, and Having Many Miles on them, I would just Ride it for Now and Worry later... I would Not change out the oil...

I do keep my clutch and cable adjusted for MAXIUM separation of the clutch plates and I do Pull the clutch handle in and wait a few+ moments to allow for slowing or Stopping of the Movement that Clunks before I shift into gear.

Using Redline Oil and Redline Shockproof Heavy in place of Syn 3 or formal + is a BONUS for me.

Stay Tuned ,,, LISTEN,,, We have time.... Ride it and Check in here to see IF anything Materializes from the many 6 speeds here on HDT.com

If there is a 6 speed problem, I DOUBT Changing MY Brand of Oil has Anything to do with SAVING it! I'll stick with the BEST! As it works good..

signed....BUBBIE

Right now we do know the service managers have been advised to stop using syn 3 and use a gear oil if customers complain of a whine, IMO oil cannot hold up to the gear shear in a tranny and agree with Bubbie that a quality gear lube is needed here , and Hoop makes a valid point about needing more Data, that said Baker has done there home work on trannys and remember they pioneered the 6 speed and they suggest gear oil:s

Bubbie, When someone refers to the "Mainshaft Bearing",, is that the bearing that supports the drive hub for the Belt?

Yes , main shaft bearing is located in the inner side plate, that being one and the other is located in the side door on other end.

Also the counter shaft has two bearings in the same places on each end of tranny....

(The main shaft does extend out to attach the belt hub pulley)

signed....BUBBIE

Yes , main shaft bearing is located in the inner side plate, that being one and the other is located in the side door on other end.

Thanks Bubbie,,
Well if that is the case,, I have a theory. At least with my bike, I really believe that if you adjust the belt tension to the specification in the service manual, it is WAY too tight. A 1/4"-5/16" deflection with 10 lbs of pressure is too tight in my opinion. That would have to put undue stress on that mainshaft bearing. I no longer adjust my belt according to the HD spec.

I may be in left field on this, but I really feel good about my home made spec. I guess time will tell. I would rather take out a belt with my experiment, then take out some bearings.

Thanks Bubbie,,
Well if that is the case,, I have a theory. At least with my bike, I really believe that if you adjust the belt tension to the specification in the service manual, it is WAY too tight. A 1/4"-5/16" deflection with 10 lbs of pressure is too tight in my opinion. That would have to put undue stress on that mainshaft bearing. I no longer adjust my belt according to the HD spec.

I may be in left field on this, but I really feel good about my home made spec. I guess time will tell. I would rather take out a belt with my experiment, then take out some bearings.

Hoople u may be onto something here, too tight on the primary chain will give you very bad results also, seen the damage donr here a few times also

Jack I may be in left field with this belt tension thing but I will tell you this. I have been around belts, pulleys, sprockets, and chains all my life. I have never seen a belt of any type as tight as the one on my bike. Even V belts don't run as tight as this cogged belt. I don't really know if it's right or wrong but just looking at it,,, it just does not SEEM right. I just see no practical purpose for that belt to be that tight.

If I had a dyno with load capability, I would use hi-speed photography to capture what the belt is doing under peak torque demands. But I just can't see wearing out my rear pulley or transmission bearings with a belt that is Banjo tight.

If I eat a belt in a year from now, I will admit I was wrong.

Back