free website stats program Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership?

Generally speaking. It's a quart of 75W/140 in the primary. A quart of redline oil that is shock rated in the tranny. It looks like pepto bismol. Then whatever engine oil you prefer.

75/140 (gear oil) is a bit stiff for the primary. Most use a non energy conserving rated motor oil (single or multi viscosity), or specific primary oil like HD formula +.

I cant help but wonder how a Stealer can justify this, but then again they have to make a profit, but not at my expense. I always did all my fluid changes before taking my bikes in for the 1,000 mile check, this would save some dollars. Knowing what I know now and watching how fast they pump out the 1,000 mile checks I am very leery of them any more. Next time you are at the dealer watch how many bikes they have scheduled for this service, and I bet over half of the dealers do not ask if you have your owners manual with so they can stamp it to verify said service JMO

Who cares about the owners manual, you should be saving the receipt anyway.

This is always a good idea too, Just saying the Dealers do not all follow the Protocol in the manual. I document every thing done to my bikes so far as stapling extra pages in the owners manual, Call me crazy but I have got more than the dealer has originally offered on trade ins because of my proof of records:s

personally I cant stand the thought of someone else(tech??) working on my bike(or cars for that matter)....Its a "last resort", and would do it myself even if the costs were the same as getting it done at the dealer....imo, the "savings" are the icing on the cake:D(and u know its done right)

Do your own. I figure since I started doing mine, I have saved about $2500 in labor costs. Buying good oil, it is still about $65 per change but I have the manual and I know if something got done or not and document it on a self-made itemized log. Mobile 1 v-twin, Formula+ & Redline.

Dave:cheers

Back