free website stats program Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I have my oil changed at the local dealership?

Our dealership wants $260 for all three holes full syn. I do a scavage oil change per glider's instructions. $14 hd oil filter, 5 qt mobil one $50, one qt mobil one 75/140 $20
i dont have a filter wrench so i just use a strap wrentch $84 and i know it was done wright. If you dont have a manuel get one!!

$160 just to change the oil as in ENGINE oil only. That can't be. That had to be all 3 compartments.

Even at $10 a quart that would be $130 labor. That can not be if you reside in the United States..

It's about the same cost here in Dallas. And they're going to charge you for the 4th qt. also even if they only use some of it, and the $15 oil filter, so you're talking close to $100 labor which is about what they get for an hours work.

The cost at the dealerships does seem like robbery, since I can get the oil changed in my truck at the Dodge dealership for $20 including oil, and I don't have to make an appointment.

and the $15 oil filter,

Your right, I forgot about the filter. I guess you also get nailed for disposal fees on the old oil and filter too. I guess when you piece it out, $130 becomes the total. Sure can't own one of these bikes if your on fixed income.

Your right, I forgot about the filter. I guess you also get nailed for disposal fees on the old oil and filter too. I guess when you piece it out, $130 becomes the total. Sure can't own one of these bikes if your on fixed income.

If you add to that $130 the cost of $65 for a shop manual, it's still cheaper to do it yourself and learn in the process.

I'm still laughing at Glider's comment, and it's absolutely true, you can do it yourself. Do all the reading folks have suggested, especially Gliders post that illustrates oil change in a softtail. Buy your oil at Auto Zone or wherever, your filter and gaskets at your HD dealer, that little gizmo that lets you release the oil return line and a few good tools if you don't already have them. Oh yeah, the service manual is essential. The money you save by doing your own service will pay for all these things, you'll get a great deal of self satisfaction and you'll get to know that Fatboy, a great bike by the way. Read, read, read, ask questions of the HDT folks. They're a great bunch, willing to help novices like me (and maybe you?) and just a wealth of knowledge. You'll enjoy getting into the fluids wars and in the end make your own decision. Good luck and enjoy one of the best parts of owning a Harley, working on it yourself! Rock on.
Ishmael

Learning how to ride a motorcycle is a lot more difficult that learning how to change the oil.
I have a sign on my tool box. Righty tighty, Lefty loosey. Upside downy, inside outty. :laugh

If you add to that $130 the cost of $65 for a shop manual, it's still cheaper to do it yourself and learn in the process.

Absolutely. I just can't stand "service writers" and the the way treat you like you know nothing. So much so, I have purchased $200 tools to do a $50 job.

The best investment you can make is a model specific service manual. You can chnage oil and other things according to your comfort level. I saved lots particularly changing my own fluids, installing heated grips, and other jobs with the help of the manual. Nothing wrong with a trained tech giving your bike the once over if you want that comfort but the manual provides step by step advice on how to inspect and service everything.

Just make sure that you document any service so that you can show that it was done in case there is a warranty issue. Plus it is valuable info when you sell!

Back