free website stats program Shift Lever Replacement | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Lever Replacement

I too had the loose tranny lever problem. The Buehler "Better Lever" is made just north of me in Norfolk, VA so I just drove up and met him in person.

I didn't have to do the Dremmel thing as I had removed the primary case before I had even learned about the BL. I had planned to just hand over a hundred bucks to my "stealer" to get the Harley stock lever and new shifter mechanism when I ran across the Better Lever in this and other forums. It really is a more permanent solution to stock. I do take long (days, weeks) rides and I want reliability.

I can't comment on the availability, shipping problems as I picked it up in person. I hope Conrad has fixed those things as it really is a good product.

Looks like it's my turn to change the loose shift lever before I get stuck somewhere. Thanks for all the good info you guys rock :)
WAP.gif

Hi Hippie, I installed my Better Lever almost 2 years ago and no problems. I hope you can still find them on his web site.

Just replaced the transmission shift arm with the betterlever. shifting is now rock solid since I had replaced the forward shaft and shift lever earlier this year. recommending this to my local harley repair shop.

some points for consideration. Do not use the battery operated motor tools. you spend all day just charging your tool between minutes of use.
Make sure you have spare tools. lost a day when I snapped the ball end off my long shaft allen. Then I lost even more when the new one snapped. working the bolts off the part when they weren't tight but the blue had set was a major pain. go to a hardware store( ace for me ) and get spare sets of the bolts. then make sure they travel through the entire length of the threaded holes. one of the bolts that came with the lever had a small section of the threads messed up and I hadnt realized it. just about froze the bolt in the hole.

Anyway, from a very amatuer motor wrencher, love this part.

Back