free website stats program Shift Lever Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Lever Replacement

glider.

BOT Machine
I have had a need in the past on a few bikes for a replacement part such as this and they were not available so I am posting this to help out the members that may run into this problem.

Here's a nice way to save a lot of work if the spline on the shift lever strips out which happens more than it should. Rather than pulling the inner primary off to replace it, this unit can be installed without all the work previously needed to replace the lever. It's made from Stainless steel and the nice part about this lever is that even if the shift shaft is stripped out from the loose factory shifter arm, this unit will grip the shaft making the replacement of the shift shaft unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mr. Data is it a good idea to check the bolt offten to make sure it's tight then to keep from stripping or is it just a design flaw .

Why when removing the bad shift lever do you have to cut it off , I would think buy removing the bolt you'd be able to spred it a little with a screw drive and slide it right off .

Why when removing the bad shift lever do you have to cut it off , I would think buy removing the bolt you'd be able to spred it a little with a screw drive and slide it right off .

Not enough space behind the primary housing to slide it off the shaft. That's why this replacement has a setup like a connecting rod where the bottom attaches with TWO bolts unlike the stock one that has ONE bolt and pinches the shaft.

Has anyone bought Conrads shifter and had good results? I need one and like the idea of not taking my primary and clutch ect ect apart for this problem. Do we still get the 10% discount as well?

If you use the better lever ,will you post the results.Including ,if it was much trouble cutting off the old lever.I elected to pull my inner primary and use the stock HD lever .I'm just interested in the time it will take someone mechanically inclined to "saw off"the old lever .

It's a fairly new item so there aren't many who have used it yet. Looking at the construction, I think it will be well received.

If you care to take some pics as you do it and do a write up, I'll post it in the self help tips.

Thanks

It's a fairly new item so there aren't many who have used it yet. Looking at the construction, I think it will be well received.

Thanks

My riding buddy just replaced the shift lever in his 1990 FXR-P with the one from Betterlever.com. The original was so far worn that, regardless of how tightly torqued the single bolt was, he could not be sure it would not slip on the shaft. The shift shaft spines showed some minor nicks and wear, but not enough to 'worry about'.

Took him a couple hours with the dremel and the flexible shaft to cut the old one out but the new one was installed in about 10 minutes. He is pleased as he says the bike is now as tight as it should be, given its age.

No photos, and he is not a member here. I'll add that he is recovering from esophagus surgery the week before and didn't have his strength or agility back. He also didn't need my help.:57:

Is it normal for the shaft to wobble around alot. Does this problem have to be addressed.

Thanks

Back