free website stats program Shift lever needs replacement. :( | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift lever needs replacement. :(

HEY! Guess what? After all that work on the primary, The Stator Seal is leaking!! :mad:ARRRR!!!:mad:
Well, I am not taking the Primary apart again!!! Not unless it needs it. I'm going to clean the area real good and add some RTV to it. :cool:

Check this out and the embedded links:

oil leak

Cheers,

TQ

Thanks TQ1 and Dolt. I have a plan! I'll let ya know how well it works.

I got some High temp oil resistant RTV and packed it around the Stator Cable. I did a little test ride and so far so good. I will still replace the stator but at least I don't have to do it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddies stripped out leaving a red light, had to call a wrecker and the dealer took care of it in a short period of time. I assume they would put the stock lever back on since it was covered under warranty. Mine is not under warranty, strating to think it needs to be done just to keep from dealing with it on the road somewhere. I have looked at mine and it looks like there is room for it to squeeze on the shaft.

My buddies stripped out leaving a red light, had to call a wrecker and the dealer took care of it in a short period of time. I assume they would put the stock lever back on since it was covered under warranty. Mine is not under warranty, strating to think it needs to be done just to keep from dealing with it on the road somewhere. I have looked at mine and it looks like there is room for it to squeeze on the shaft.
The Better Lever is well made but if I had to do it again, I'd get the Baker lever for under $75. Why? Because I had to replace the trany shifter shaft seal and the primary had to come off for that.
http://www.amazon.com/BAKER-3375-85SA-A-Truss-Style-Shift/dp/B00JSSZBGS

Last edited:
3 years ago I had the same problem on my05 electraglide. I did not want to rip everything apart so this is what I did. I loosened up the bolt and sprayed the edited out of the spline with brake clean. I then blew it out with an air hose. After that I drenched the spline with red loctite and tighted the bolt. Three years later and about 20,000 more miles it is still tight.

3 years ago I had the same problem on my05 electraglide. I did not want to rip everything apart so this is what I did. I loosened up the bolt and sprayed the edited out of the spline with brake clean. I then blew it out with an air hose. After that I drenched the spline with red loctite and tighted the bolt. Three years later and about 20,000 more miles it is still tight.

You are a lucky man with your band-aid fix. Keep an eye on it because it will fail again at the most unfortunate time.

Back