free website stats program Shift lever needs replacement. :( | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift lever needs replacement. :(

After viewing a few videos on cutting the lever off and installing the Better Lever, if I ever had to replace that shift lever, I would remove the primary and install the Baker lever. I don't know how long it takes to cut that lever but the videos I have watched indicate that it takes about an hour; I can pull the primary in less time. I know, I have to put it all back and the complete process might take a bit longer but that would be my choice.;)

I have said this on this forum from the time the Better Lever came out. I didnt have the Baker lever option when I did it. If I had the same problem tomorrow, I would still pull the primary. I think the replacement lever was $15 plus gasket and fluid.

Having said that, everybody is entitled to their choice.

Mongo, Had you not had the seal leaking requiring you to remove the primary how was your experience cutting off the lever? I've never had to cut one off but it seems fairly straight forward with some patients.

I can not see how you can work in such a confined area and not end up cutting into something else. Second if cut piece falls off magnet where does it fall to and how do you get it out?

I bought one of these when I had a 95 road king. I used a dremmel tool. It would have been cleaner with the pen attachment because I did hit the back of the inner primary. You couldn't see it unless you actually got down and looked behind the primary. It didn't hurt the function of anything and I would do it again. I never had a problem with it after that.

Went to work at 3:30 am got home about 10:45. Finished the work on the primary. took it for a test drive and everything works well. I still need to cleen the bike and check for leaks. But for now, I'm just kick'n back waiting for he rain.

I can not see how you can work in such a confined area and not end up cutting into something else. Second if cut piece falls off magnet where does it fall to and how do you get it out?
I was able to cut the lever off but when I found the bad seal on the tranny shifter shaft, the primary came off.
I also removed the heal shifter and added a chrome cap to cover the spine that was exposed and a chrome shifter peg.

Still freak'n raining. And I'm jones'n for a ride. I see a day of hooky (sick day, personal day, what ever day) in my near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
HEY! Guess what? After all that work on the primary, The Stator Seal is leaking!! :mad:ARRRR!!!:mad:
Well, I am not taking the Primary apart again!!! Not unless it needs it. I'm going to clean the area real good and add some RTV to it. :cool:

HEY! Guess what? After all that work on the primary, The Stator Seal is leaking!! :mad:ARRRR!!!:mad:
Well, I am not taking the Primary apart again!!! Not unless it needs it. I'm going to clean the area real good and add some RTV to it. :cool:

Bummer :(

HEY! Guess what? After all that work on the primary, The Stator Seal is leaking!! :mad:ARRRR!!!:mad: Well, I am not taking the Primary apart again!!! Not unless it needs it. I'm going to clean the area real good and add some RTV to it. :cool:

Stator seal? First you have mentioned this one; I thought it was the shifter shaft seal that was leaking? Are you referring to the rubber seal at the front of the primary chain case where the stator connection enters the chain case?

Stator seal? First you have mentioned this one; I thought it was the shifter shaft seal that was leaking? Are you referring to the rubber seal at the front of the primary chain case where the stator connection enters the chain case?
Yes, that's the one. I did not notice the grime at the front of the engine. Any way, I cleaned it and put about 70 miles on the bike today. It's not leaking as bad as I feared. It's a little wet around the edge of the grommet. Not really leaking, more like seeping. I was thinking of getting some RTV or 3M 5200. and spackle some around the wire assembly. I really do not want to take the primary apart again.

Yes, that's the one. I did not notice the grime at the front of the engine. Any way, I cleaned it and put about 70 miles on the bike today. It's not leaking as bad as I feared. It's a little wet around the edge of the grommet. Not really leaking, more like seeping. I was thinking of getting some RTV or 3M 5200. and spackle some around the wire assembly. I really do not want to take the primary apart again.

You can seal it with the RTV. Use some carb cleaner or cleaner of your choice to clean around and underneath the grommet and around the wires to remove all the oil, grime, etc.; get it as clean as possible and let it dry. Apply the sealant; wont take much and let it cure all the way before you get it hot again.

Back