free website stats program Shift lever needs replacement. :( | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift lever needs replacement. :(

The leaking Trany shifter shaft seal had something to do with it. I did cut the lever off and remove the snap ring and washer. That's when I got a look at the oil leak. I tried to dig out the seal but it was futile. That's when I set my mind up to remove the primary.

Mongo, Had you not had the seal leaking requiring you to remove the primary how was your experience cutting off the lever? I've never had to cut one off but it seems fairly straight forward with some patients.

After viewing a few videos on cutting the lever off and installing the Better Lever, if I ever had to replace that shift lever, I would remove the primary and install the Baker lever. I don't know how long it takes to cut that lever but the videos I have watched indicate that it takes about an hour; I can pull the primary in less time. I know, I have to put it all back and the complete process might take a bit longer but that would be my choice.;)

I am just thinking out loud here, maybe just maybe the lever has been over thought for alot of years, take a look at the newer model levers like mine

HD15FLHTCUTG020.gif

After viewing a few videos on cutting the lever off and installing the Better Lever, if I ever had to replace that shift lever, I would remove the primary and install the Baker lever. I don't know how long it takes to cut that lever but the videos I have watched indicate that it takes about an hour; I can pull the primary in less time. I know, I have to put it all back and the complete process might take a bit longer but that would be my choice.;)
Yeah! Now I know! Time and experience are primary (get it! Bwahahaha). :)

Jack I may be reading your post wrong. The P/N for #18 is the same P/N back to '97, hasn't changed.
tourbox

Mongo, Had you not had the seal leaking requiring you to remove the primary how was your experience cutting off the lever? I've never had to cut one off but it seems fairly straight forward with some patients.
Like our friend Dolt says. I should have gone the Baker path. It would have been cheaper in the long run and I ended up taking the Primary off any how. No, I can't work as fast as an ace mechanic like Dolt either.

Jack I may be reading your post wrong. The P/N for #18 is the same P/N back to '97, hasn't changed.
tourbox
It loks the same in the pics but if you look at one on a bike they are way thinner in design

No, I can't work as fast as an ace mechanic like Dolt either.

Mongo, not an "ace mechanic", just have done it so many times that I have gotten the procedure down pat; once done several times, even a caveman can do it fairly quickly.o_O I figure I could get the job done in an hour, maybe less. Which is about the same time it would take to R/R the lever per the install video. R/R of the primary would certainly be messier but the thought of working in that confined space, fighting the tool, taking care not to let the tool wander, etc. is not very appealing to me. I would rather be moving; get out the tools, including an electric impact rip the primary off, replace the lever (Baker piece) and put her back together, plus I get a chance to see how everything in the primary looks.;)

Back