free website stats program SE Compensator Sprocket | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Compensator Sprocket

BTSOOM

Account Removed
Howdy -- first post here. Has anyone used the SE COMPENSATOR SPROCKET on a 08 Touring. 96 inch? My FLTR is really CLUNKING at start. Dealer looked at it and thinks the tune needs adjusting; I have a SERT with Rush Slip Ons but it was done by a indy shop. Opinions appreciated. BTSOOM

Howdy -- first post here. Has anyone used the SE COMPENSATOR SPROCKET on a 08 Touring. 96 inch? My FLTR is really CLUNKING at start. Dealer looked at it and thinks the tune needs adjusting; I have a SERT with Rush Slip Ons but it was done by a indy shop. Opinions appreciated. BTSOOM

The TUNE has absolutely nothing to do with it other than making your wallet thinner.
It's the fault of a poor design in the compensator sprocket. Check out the link Bud posted above.

The TUNE has absolutely nothing to do with it other than making your wallet thinner.
It's the fault of a poor design in the compensator sprocket. Check out the link Bud posted above.

Wow. For my first time out on this Board this is certainly an impressive response AND VERY HELPFUL. Will advise my results. Thnx,

Many opinions of what a dealer may tell you are the best way to go which you can get here. Some dealers are only interested in how much they can make $$$ and to say that a tune will alter the starter knock leaves a lot to be desired about that dealer. It's just a poor design that is causing it and the 96 motors without many exceptions all do it on start up.

I would be very curious if they retuned your bike and the starter knock was still the same (which it would be) what their reply would be then and how much they would charge you for doing nothing for the knock.

Many opinions of what a dealer may tell you are the best way to go which you can get here. Some dealers are only interested in how much they can make $$$ and to say that a tune will alter the starter knock leaves a lot to be desired about that dealer. It's just a poor design that is causing it and the 96 motors without many exceptions all do it on start up.

I would be very curious if they retuned your bike and the starter knock was still the same (which it would be) what their reply would be then and how much they would charge you for doing nothing for the knock.

My dyno with the SERT was done by an independent shop I have used many times -- always a perfect tune regardless of my set up. He will look at it tomorrow and he insists his tune is on the mark -- so it wld appear giving info here --- BTW -- Frederick MD HD said they require MINIMUM 6 hrs for a dyno -- unheard of in my expereience. MANY MANY THANKS, BTSOOM

I replaced mine with the SE kit. In the instructions it mentions some slight rotation should be possible in the sprocket from the ramp, when rotating the clutch assembly, after torquing to specs.

"Rotate the compensating sprocket to make sure there is a light pressure on the sprocket from the springs. No clearance should be felt. A slight rotation should be possible by hand with the transmission in neutral."

Well I could not get a slight rotation after all the spring discs were compressed.

I went for a test ride, all seemed OK.

Got to thinking maybe a disc slipped, got home and took it all apart, no slipped disc during assembly.

Reassembled and still no play. I noticed on careful inspection of the ramp surfaces the sprocket left telltale marks of climbing out of it's static position.

Al

:USA

:CONNECTICUT

out of thousands, hasn't anyone replaced the stock compensator with the SE "big Twin Compensator Kit"?

Am I the only one?:bigsmiley21:

Al

Back