free website stats program Salvage title?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Salvage title??

First of all I think you need to clarify if is is a Salvage Certificate or a Reconstructed title. In pa. to get a reconstructed title the bike has to be ran through a inspection in more detail than a normal safety inspection. If it is a reconstructed title figure about 30% less than blue book, in my opinion, that is what car dealers around here figure. But on the other hand when people rebuild bikes they do some nice upgrades, in my opinion if it is a nice bike and runs and rides good and you feel it is a good deal then go for it, but also I would have a Harley dealer give it a once over to make sure that there were no short cuts taken. I also would be curious to know what kind of damage was done and how back the accident was, i.e. - if someone got killed on it that may keep me away from it.

If this is your first foray into riding a motorcycle, I'd take a pass. The experience just might sour you. There are so many bikes to choose from in the price range you're looking at (and as Richard and others of already mentioned) that I'm sure you can find something without the sigma of a salvage title.

Others have mentioned the merits but, I'd only explore a salvage title when I know first hand how it became that way (and comfortable with it) and what was done to make it right. Then of course, purchase price would have to be very attractive with an expectation to keep her for awhile or at least be prepared if you do sell it, to sell it cheap.

Just my 1 cent.

I personally don't have a problem buying anything with a salvage title but 5K for a 2004 Sporty is a little high even for a clean title bike. Keep looking.

Fellas, first of all, let me thank you for your generous words about my buying expertise.

I don't believe in "false modesty", so I am not going to pretend to be humble about that particular talent! :s

It's a simple reality that in ANY economy, a "salvage title" is a dark cloud that cuts the value of even the nicest scooter by 50% or more of it's "clean title" counterpart.

In THIS decimated economy, where bikes, (along with everything else in the secondary market), are bringing a fraction of what they would have a few years ago, the only way it makes sense to buy a dirty titled scooter at ANY price is if the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. In other words, can the bike be parted out, EASILY, for more than the final selling price? If so, and you're able and willing to do the work, I'd say go for it, but you'll find that's a rare exception indeed.

Someone earlier in the thread asked where you can find a Big Twin in the neighborhood of 5K......

How about THIS:

86FXR003.jpg

86FXR033.jpg

This neat vintage FXR, with a couple K in paint and a couple more in rims and brand new rubber and seals,rings, and gaskets, brought $5500 on ebay recently.

This was an AWESOME rider that ANYONE would be proud to own, and certainly would blow any Sporty outta the water at your friendly local biker bar.

And the best part, other than the fact it ran like a scalded cat on rails and gleamed like a "Best In Show" in the FXR class?

IT HAD A SPARKLING CLEAN TITLE!

(BTW, for you newcomers to the forum, this was MY bike I sold on ebay recently.)

The moral is if you have 5K to spend you can get a real-deal Harley, not something cobbled together that may leave you stranded or worse!

Please.....heed my advice....there are plenty of deals out there and if you're local I am more than happy to help you negotiate the deal!

not flaming but It depends if your going to sell the bike later. iMOP I have ownd salvage titles, but I made them strictly for the track. I build and soo nothing wrong with a salvage title. If your bike goes down and gets a scratch on the frame it becomes a total loss. Make is a salvage. I have been building for over 15 years and never had a problem with a salvage. In hawaii that bike would have been listed for 8G. Welcome to my world
Ps I would put my sporty up against this bike for speed or looks. I got a custom built (by me) chopper with a 120" power plant and my sporty will beat it.

Back