free website stats program Salvage title?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Salvage title??

I think RichardS knows a little about the bike market right about now and NEWHD74 Is on the money with the patcience factor.Ask for a copy of the estimate totaling the bike.

I have no probem buying a salvage titled bike if I get a discount and documentation to examine repairs maid.BIG thing here is the discount and that price isnt much of one.

I wouldn't touch anything with a salvage title. There is no resale on something like that. It might seem like a good deal atr the time but you will regret it in the long run.

And FWIW, if a forum member ever wants one of my scoots, my new policy is you'll get it AT MY COST, and you have my word on that. I stand by my brothers here.

Do you have any idea how many of us just filed this statement away for future recall!?!? :D

I've rebuilt, rode and sold several salvaged bikes. That being said, I don't think I would buy one from someone I didn't know. It's so easy to just to throw one together, that you might not see something that was just covered up and not fixed right. The ones I've rebuilt did not have frame damage, just minor tins, paint and such to replace. As said above, it doesn't take much to total a bike. I've actually haven't made much money when I've resold these bikes, because a salvaged title does mean a sizable chunk is taken off the book value. I get the enjoyment out of fixing it up, not the profit I get from the resell. Here in Ohio, the state inspection station gives these bikes quite a going over and you must have all receipts for the parts and numbers must match. In ending, be very careful about buying a salvage bike. You might want to get the enjoyment of buying one and fixing it up for yourself.

so, I just came across an 04 1200c with 2k on it for 5k
seems really legit with the price but it has a restored/salvaged title.
the seller bought it this way and fixed everything. then had it pass a level 3 inspection and emmissions. It's currently registered and everything.

Is this a smart buy for my first bike?
how could I be affected by this title in the future?
Any input would help!

Well sometime these are great buys. My wife drove a 95 Ford Explorer for 10 years that had been rebuilt, let our daughter have it and it is still going. I am currently driving a 04 pickup that was rebuilt. My first Harley was rebuilt and it was just great. Just remember, don't pay regular used price for it, plan on keeping it, or if you sale don't cry if it doesn't bring what you think it should.
Make sure to have the allignment checked by someone that knows how. With bikes the frame allignment is the most critcial. Buddy bought a Duce that was rebuilt and we found out the allignment think the hard way. His bike was inspected by the State and passed. All the state inspector checked was that their were no stolen parts used to repair the bike. I have had several rebuilts over the years and would buy again. my thought is, buy to keep it, not to resale. yes buddy does still have the Duce and he did get it fixed, few extra dollars that was not in the sale price. Rides pretty well too, although not like an Ultra.

RichardS, that was one sharp looking FXR (you may be able to tell I'm a little partial toward them) & for 5K, that's a heck of a deal. I think your reputation speaks for itself, because of some the compliments you have received from other guys on the forum you have sold parts & accessories to. You have my vote of confidence

Nice Bike Richard, one of the best riding HD ever made

Doc, hold me to it! In the end, my honor is all I have. If I score a great deal and it's going up for sale, you guys will get first shot!

Would everyone agree w/me if I think RichardS should sell the "Raptor Bike" to this fine fellow for $5K???...:57:

Wouldn't this be a nice gesture of his generosity...:newsmile011:

That's too much for a salvaged sporty, a few months ago I sold a sweet '98 dyna w/ 25,000 on the clock. I paid $5,400 in 08, let my son ride it for a year and sold it for $5,400. You have to be patient to get a good deal. Check auto dealers, that's where I picked the Dyna up.

Back