free website stats program Salvage title?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Salvage title??

bikecurious

so, I just came across an 04 1200c with 2k on it for 5k
seems really legit with the price but it has a restored/salvaged title.
the seller bought it this way and fixed everything. then had it pass a level 3 inspection and emmissions. It's currently registered and everything.

Is this a smart buy for my first bike?
how could I be affected by this title in the future?
Any input would help!

To me that sounds like alot of money for a rebuild you can probably find a better deal with a good title

To me that sounds like alot of money for a rebuild you can probably find a better deal with a good title

I agree - NADA retail is $4915 and it doesn't sound like it's being sold by a retailer. I'd be patient and keep looking unless he came WAY down on the price. Check Ebay, Craigslist, Chopperexchange, etc. and you'll eventually find a really good deal on the bike you want.

not a bad price for a 1200, but check the frame really good because the bike was totaled by the insurance company, some one probably did not replaced all the parts that should of been or they could not sell it for that price. Buyer Beware[/COLOR]!
Level 3 inspection & emmissions does not mean much other then you can buy a plate for it.

RichardS, 2K for 04 XL1200's, I want to go shopping with you, you put my wife to shame. I'd take a 04 for that price even if it was in a shopping bag:)

IMO, Pass on the salvage title bike. If everything is good mechanically, it still has the cloud over it. You may not see the cloud until you go to sell, but you will see it.

Checked nada($9,425) or Kelly blue book kbb.com($5845) I have 3 bikes with salvage titles and have had little trouble with them, to me the biggest trouble is resale value. Look it over very closely for paint chips or paint cracking on the frame and the tracking alignment and if it looks good try to beat the price down a little more. I've put 35,000 miles on my 89 FLH without any trouble at all. If it's been fixed right it shouldn't have any troubles. Sometimes it don't take much for the insurance company to total them with the price of parts and labor so high.JMO

Think I would pass and keep looking there should be better deals out there JMO

Bikecurious, be careful about buying based on emotions, vehicle sales is based strictly on that, that and buying on their turf is putting you at a serious disadvantage...pay attention to RichardS and Chop...they represent Buyers'-manship and Techno'-manship...two parts of the 3 part process of Owner-ship...you might want to pass until at least two of the 3 are a match...! :s

Back